Low down on elk on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low down on elk on public land

So at almost 52 I have this hunt on my mind. Problem is I am 50/50 on if I can do it physically, mentally etc

2 back surgeries kinda damper your spirits when thinking of elk in Colorado. I should have done this way back before age and physical inabilities. Let me hear it from those who have been there done that.

I don't need the YouTube folks who have ZERO experience with these hunts. Tell me your thoughts on gear, accommodations, money needed, gear, tags etc.

If you have been tell me what it is really like.

I am in the same boat as you--42 and 1 back surgery and kinda out of shape but really want to do this. I think with enough heads up you could get in shape

Comment

I would think an over the counter elk hunt could be done for $1000 in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
        I plan on going in September otc for the first time , I’ve been researching for awhile and I just don’t see it happening for 1000$ . The tag alone is 600$ or better I believe for both sex tag .. but hell it might be possible depending where you live in the state ..

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
          Yeah I know several guys who budget that and do really well.

Comment

Longer you wait, the harder it will get. Start preparing now by getting into shape and working the stair climber since you don’t exactly have any elevation to work with in Midland. Don’t live the rest of your life second guessing why you didn’t at least try.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
              So at almost 52 I have this hunt on my mind. Problem is I am 50/50 on if I can do it physically, mentally etc

2 back surgeries kinda damper your spirits when thinking of elk in Colorado. I should have done this way back before age and physical inabilities. Let me hear it from those who have been there done that.

I don't need the YouTube folks who have ZERO experience with these hunts. Tell me your thoughts on gear, accommodations, money needed, gear, tags etc.

If you have been tell me what it is really like.
              Over 20 years and haven’t missed a year in last 9.

Elk are where you find them, period!! I laugh every year when someone tells me “ALL” the elk are at or above tree line.

Cost-wise for CO 1000 if you split with a friend. You can cheapen up some on food also depending if you truck hunt or pack in.

Personally I would put in for a NM tag in some of the milder units.

conditioning wise it’s not the hunting it’s the pack out if you get one. But easy remedy with a packer.

Gear wise it’s simple no cotton and Layer. Really that simple.
              Last edited by Texans42; 02-13-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

As a former outfitter and someone who is coming up on a decade and half in Colorado chasing elk self guided, I can tell you that elk are where you find them. I have killed elk 300 yards from my truck, and also had to spend all evening and the next morning packing one out with a buddy. It's just a matter of being where they want to be. A couple years ago a buddy and I walked miles in before daylight, called, glassed, and worked our butts off all morning... then shot one while hiking back to the truck! Lol. Maps, data, and good glass will be your best friends. Hunt the overlooked areas. Elk are rarely where they are supposed to be, especially once season gets going. Elk are where they WANT to be. We always start a new unit by asking "if I was an elk and a bunch of idiots came in here traipsing around, calling their heads off, and disturbing us, where would I want to go?"

Comment

Your gonna most likely be disappointed if you go for an over the counter tag. With your issues its gonna be hard getting away from all the orange. In my opinion you should send in for a point this year and try for a 1st season tag next year somewhere. This lowers the number of hunters significantly.

Comment

It depends on what elevation and steep the terrain you hunt . I have been on three hunts two mountain hunts and one high desert . The two Mountian hunts were VERY physically and mentally exhausting . We had half our group quit after day one . We tent camped and horse backed in . It was a great experience and a blast but VERY physical. The high desert hunt wasn't near as bad but was not near as steap terrain and did more glassing than hiking .

Comment

$1000 would be really tight. $1500 is better because you're going to need a couple motel nights for the trip.

I can pack a bull in 4 trips if the terrain is easy and it's less than a mile. I got lucky on the last bull because it was cold so I was able to leave the shoulders and head for the next morning.

Comment

I haven’t done the DIY trip yet but went with a pretty good outfitter in NM. I would say the faster you can cover ground, the higher your success will be. That goes for glassing and hiking. Be proficient out to about 70 yards with broad heads as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          Over 20 years and haven’t missed a year in last 9.

Elk are where you find them, period!! I laugh every year when someone tells me “ALL” the elk are at or above tree line.

Cost-wise for CO 1000 if you split with a friend. You can cheapen up some on food also depending if you truck hunt or pack in.

Personally I would put in for a NM tag in some of the milder units.

conditioning wise it’s not the hunting it’s the pack out if you get one. But easy remedy with a packer.

Gear wise it’s simple no cotton and Layer. Really that simple.

At 48 and haven't gone yet. Its the packing out that has me stumped.

Reading Cmeron Hanes - Backcountry Bowhunting right now.

Backcountry Bowhunting was written with the hard working adventuresome bowhunter in mind. This book covers time-tested strategies, success stories, tips, tactics and the gear needed to head into the unforgiving western woods on your own and come out loaded down with antlers and meat. From high country mule deer, hulkin

I think on the Elk thread I'm on page 22 or 25.

But interested in following this one for what folks have to say.

Comment

Getting the meat out and on ice can be a big issue during archery seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              At 48 and haven't gone yet. Its the packing out that has me stumped.

Reading Cmeron Hanes - Backcountry Bowhunting right now.

Backcountry Bowhunting was written with the hard working adventuresome bowhunter in mind. This book covers time-tested strategies, success stories, tips, tactics and the gear needed to head into the unforgiving western woods on your own and come out loaded down with antlers and meat. From high country mule deer, hulkin

I think on the Elk thread I'm on page 22 or 25.

But interested in following this one for what folks have to say.
                              Depends on weather and kill location. Once you get that hide off it’s crazy how quick meat will chill out in the shade with a breeze. It would also surprise how long it will stay good. Pack out is like anything else. Further away from your truck harder it’s going to be and more taxing marginal gear(boots and packs) will be. If you cant haul 60lbs or 80 lbs a few miles then don’t, do 45lb loads.

With that said very few people in the Rockies will kill a bull over 700 lbs. so the big heavy pack outs arent as bad as some make it, grant it I hope you kill a 1000lb old monster but the odds say other wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X