No announcement yet.

River or creek or ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought that creeks run into rivers. Rivers run into the ocean (or Gulf). And bayous run into bays. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
      I always thought that creeks run into rivers. Rivers run into the ocean (or Gulf). And bayous run into bays. Just a guess.

I had that thought as well, but the Little River runs into the Brazos.

Funny this topic came up. The wife and I were discussing how they get classified just last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Creek you Wade across.
        River you swim across.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s interesting to think about. I guess it’s loosely related to flow, but also depends on where you are, too.

Where we are in the hills, I’d classify streams into three levels:

A “branch” is a small stream that may be intermittent. Depending on whether or not the source is a spring or just runoff, a branch could go dry in the hot summer.

A creek is a lot bigger than a branch. I think of a creek as something big enough to have a locally recognized name, keep water year round, be fishable/floatable, etc.

A river is obviously a little (or lot) bigger. The river at our deer camp is pretty small (average flow is only 300cfs, more of a creek), but still classified as a river.

Comment

check it out

Originally posted by bobc View Post
            I had that thought as well, but the Little River runs into the Brazos.

Funny this topic came up. The wife and I were discussing how they get classified just last week.

Rivers run into an ocean.
            Creeks run into a sea.
            The USA has 4 seas. 3 are all in Alaska and one in Washington state.
            Bering, Beaufort, Salish and Chukotka.
            All this information was all found on line.
            Last edited by texaspacker; 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If you have ever been to Round Rock and saw the round rock that is Brushy Creek. The same creek that runs behind my house.
              Last edited by texaspacker; 03-28-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                Rivers run into an ocean.

Creeks run into a sea.

The USA has 4 seas. 3 are all in Alaska and one in Washington state.

Bering, Beaufort, Salish and Chukotka.

All this information was all found on line.

Interesting. Salado creek, Leon river and Lampasas river meet at three forks to make the little river - which run into the brazos. So is the Salado creek not really a creek? So convoluted.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                  Interesting. Salado creek, Leon river and Lampasas river meet at three forks to make the little river - which run into the brazos. So is the Salado creek not really a creek? So convoluted.

Brushy Creek also runs into Little River.
                  Brushy Creek, San Gabriel River, Little River, Brazos River, Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean.
                  Last edited by texaspacker; 03-28-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    You guys are racists...forgetting about the awesome & important 'arroyos' down this way!!

And canals!

Comment

I also live on Brushy creek a little down stream of you in Hutto. I have often wondered the same thing as I have seen a lot of rivers that flow a lot less than Brushy creek. I have kayaked the creek for several miles and it always flows.

Comment

All the creeks and ditches around here look like rivers today!

Comment

Y’all have have already identified that the “nameology” is all over the place, but asked for th official way it’s done. Scientists don’t rely on names like creek, river, etc. we use stream order. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_order

Comment

Originally posted by LogFlinger View Post
                            All the creeks and ditches around here look like rivers today!
                            You ain't kidding! Heck of a storm last night

Comment

Originally posted by NickR View Post
                              I also live on Brushy creek a little down stream of you in Hutto. I have often wondered the same thing as I have seen a lot of rivers that flow a lot less than Brushy creek. I have kayaked the creek for several miles and it always flows.
                              That is because of the wastewater facilities. If not for them and the flood control dams...itd be dry or no flow...7-8 months out of the year.

OP....Creek, river, branch, etc defined on water volume. Texas Land Office should be sought for exact guidance.

God bless and Semper Fidelis...Brother

Comment

In South Dakota dey all called a Gulch!

Comment

Working...
                                X