Anyone Hunt this area of Uvalde Cty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Hunt this area of Uvalde Cty?

Just curious if anyone hunts this area of Uvalde county? Basically in the triangle between Hwy 55, Hwy 83 and RR 337?

If so, I have a couple of questions. How's the hunting been this year so far? Do yall have a good number of exotics?

We've been on a place since 2000 closer to Chalk Bluff and the last few years for us have been really tough. We get the occasional (maybe 1 every 3 years) exotic but nothing consistent. It also seems like we are seeing less deer overall but we can't figure out why.

Also, I'm always up for a beer at the Oasis. Shoot me a PM.
    Attached Files

I hunt to the N of your outlined area. There are exptics in that area but not as dense as to the north. Driving 55 from Camp Wood to Uvalde- you’ll really see the terrain flatten out and the red dirt becomes more prevalent.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

Thanks. I figured there would be more TBH'ers in the area.

Comment

I get an invite to hunt the Annandale Ranch every year off of 127. Got a nice buck out there this year. Plenty of axis around but we mostly see them at night. I saw plenty of deer this year but it is a large property. Around 14k acres I believe.

-------------------------------
          Violence never settles anything
          -Genghis Kahn

Comment

my parents live south of campwood and their are axis everywhere. The closer you get to Uvalde the the less there will be.

Towards concan on the frio there are good numbers about 15 miles north of sabinal it gets good again.

Comment

Thanks guys. We occasionally hear axis back over towards the river but have yet to get any on our side just yet. Hopefully we will soon.

Also, there seems to be more and more coyotes in the area. For the first 10 years I hunted the place I literally never heard ANY coyotes.

Comment

I'm in this triangle off of 83 and 429. Hunting is slow to this year and first year in 3 to have totes back in the area. We have axis everywhere about half a mile from us but not on our place. In the stand as we speak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm about 10 miles south of Concan on 83. We are almost to the point of having more axis than whitetail. Saw the first axis about ten years ago and they've been growing in numbers ever since. Our whitetail herd has been less as far as numbers go but antler size has gone way up. I'm still trying to figure it out from a management standpoint. We haven't killed a WT doe the past three seasons and only about 5 mature WT bucks each year on 1k low fence acres. We do have a bunch of nocturnal hogs that may be screwing things up also. Ten years ago it was nothing to see 10 plus wt each sit and now I'm lucky to see 3 wt in a hunt. Any thoughts on game management are welcome.

Comment

Thanks guys. I to am currently in the stand. Only have 2 yearlings our now. Saw some bucks trying to keep a doe hemmed up but they are up on the side of a hill.

Comment

Nothing moving here yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anthrax?

Comment

We're just east of you on 127. Deer numbers have been decent. We are ate up with yotes. No exotics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

we are West of Rio Frio in this triangle.

Coyotes have wiped out our deer herd.

No axis in 6 years.

Comment

I'm a little east on 1050 but the deer have been a lot more scarce the last few years. Exotics are still plentiful where I hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X