Food Plot Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Plan

I have read many threads on here and have gotten some different advice from different folks. I will be planting two separate plots, 2 and 3 acres. Here is my plan.

-spray gly this weekend 8/13

- shred the fields very low 8/26
    -disc the fields twice with tandem disc 8/26-27
    -drag with a heavy drag to break up soil 8/27

-spread oats, wheat and fertilizer with a 3pt spreader 9/9 or 9/23?
    -run drag across
    -spread out durana clover

I planted an acre or so with good success last yr but did not spray and could tell it needed to be done for better results. This will be in Archer City Tx. Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

Now that's a plan. It should work if the weather is right.

Comment

I would plant more toward the end of sept vs the beginning. But otherwise looks good

Comment

Plan sounds great. But you might want to see what Mother Nature's gonna give you to work with. I've planted as early as Sept. 1 with good success, to having to wait and dry sow last weekend of September. It's all depends on the rain and heat.

Comment

Good answers above. I know you probably have to work on it when you can vs. when you need to, but if you can time your planting with wet conditions (not too wet), or just before, it would be better. I add one more step. When I have my plot sprayed, mowed, disced, and dragged, I almost straighten my disc gangs to cut little grooves in the plot. I will sow my large seeds, then drag it, then plant the tiny seeds and drag it again. I've had excellent results doing that. Good luck and I'll bet you have a nice plot.

This year, I'm gonna have a cultipacker. Been looking high and low on the net for one but good ones are scarce, especially close to EasTex. So....I decided to buy a new one ! Just got an email saying it shipped, so it will figure in my fall plots for sure !

Comment

Good plan, keep good notes on what you do this year so next year you can adjust if necessary

Comment

Lots of pictures!

Comment

One other step I almost forgot. Did you do a soil test ? That's the most important step of all !

Comment

I will deff be playing the rain to plant and hope it will happen to fall on one of those two weekends either the 9th or 23rd but could make it happen anytime if necessary. Soil test is one thing I've never done. I just took advice from our feed store owner and put out 300lbs of 13-13-13 on the one acre last year. I feel like I'm late getting my gameplan together for this year.

Comment

What's the best Gly option? Concentrated or brand please.

I'm am doing same thing around same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                      What's the best Gly option? Concentrated or brand please.

I'm am doing same thing around same time.
                      43% gly based is what I'll use and 2.5 gallons should make roughly 50-55 gallons of solution. I'm new to spraying and could use some advice on how much coverage (gallons) are needed per acre.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                        43% gly based is what I'll use and 2.5 gallons should make roughly 50-55 gallons of solution. I'm new to spraying and could use some advice on how much coverage (gallons) are needed per acre.
                        I have good luck using 2.5/3 oz. per gallon spraying in third gear at about 1200 rpms. I've never calibrated a sprayer, I just get it wet. I'd rather overspray than underspray. Not getting a good kill can make your weeds/grasses gly resistant. I use the 41% gly from Tractor Supply. It works well and is much cheaper than Roundup.

Soil test: If your soil is not close to neutral, clover won't do well. Grains will grow, but you can't get the "goody" out of your fertilizer. Soil needs to be 6.5 or 7ph for most clovers. Most places need lime, at least in my part of the world, but you won't know that without a test. Most soil tests will not only tell you how much lime to apply per acre, but how much and what type of fertilizer.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is the results from one of my plots. It's a little over half an acre. Fertilizer is good, lime not so much. I'll have to put bag lime in it in a couple weeks because I can't get delivery on a small amount. I limed it in March but evidently didn't get all it needed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            This is the results from one of my plots. It's a little over half an acre. Fertilizer is good, lime not so much. I'll have to put bag lime in it in a couple weeks because I can't get delivery on a small amount. I limed it in March but evidently didn't get all it needed.
                            We are in NW TX just S of Wichita Falls with red dirt. How fast do soil tests come back? I could get them mailed out on Monday if my plans work out.

Comment

What's the best soil test kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X