Anyone use a 1D series camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a 1D series camera?

For the last few years I've wanted to upgrade to a Canon 1D series camera from my Canon 10D. I am looking at picking up a used 1D Mark II currently. Anyone on here shoot with one? I am particularly interested in the 45 focus points when used with a long range zoom (100-400L) vs my 7 focus point on the 10D.

Its hard to complain about the 10D because its a heck of a performer, but after shooting with it for quite a few years now I am thinking its time for an upgrade.

I'll add some picture pRon from the 10D while I am at it...

Great pics!

Comment

I've shot the full frame series enough to know that I should STOP touching them.

One of my friends has the 1Ds Mark III -- lucky for you it's in stock now at B & H

The focus points are kind of natural for me, but I need all the help I can get with focus - I'm to young to have ever relied on manual focusing, so I like the 'blinkers' -- I've heard other say they don't like them. You can probably get used to anything, heck, people shoot Nikon's don't they??

Comment

Thanks!

Man... i wish I had the $$ to spend 8k on a camera body!!! Used the 1D MKII is around 1500-1750 which I can handle much better I could buy a 600mm F4 IS and still come out ahead!

Here are my major pros of the MKII compared to my 10D:

45 point focus system ( it helps a TON when shooting action shots and in AI/servo mode)

The better AF system can still autofocus with an F8 lens ( ie read 100-400L with a 1.4x multiplier froooooool)

Better high ISO performance

Better res and higher quality image

Oh... and camera turn on time. My 1D takes 2-3 seconds to turn on which has cost me more than a few shots. The 1DMKII is ~.3 seconds

Comment

So, 10D's are female and 1DmkII's are male, huh?

Comment

Any reason why you're ruling out a 5D?

Comment

I used to have a 1D Mark IIN but now I shoot with 1D Mark III's. All of them are great cameras that perform flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                Any reason why you're ruling out a 5D?
                That's what I was thinking. Supposedly the replacement for the 5D is around the corner. You could probably get a heck of a deal on a used 5D. That's what I am planning on doing, for what it's worth.

Comment

About the 5D...
                  One main reason is I want to try more birds in flight and fast action photography. I've heard the 1DMKII hands down is better for that type of action, once again due to the superior. I also like the 1.3x crop of the 1DMKII even thou I know its a wash because of the higher res of the 5D.

With that said, I haven't ruled out anything at this point The top three right now are the 1DMKII, 40D and the 5D.

Casey, I am picking up a Sigma 105mm Macro tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out!

Comment

Working...
                  X