Venison Marinade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Marinade??

Does anyone have a recommended recipe for a marinade? I tried a random one last week off of the net last week and am looking for others. From what I can tell, most basic venison marinades have a fat (oil), and acid/base (vinegar/lemon juice) and then spices/herbs to suit your taste after that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

for $1+ go to the sauce/seasoning packet isle in your grocery store.. try some of the webers packets.. they are good. The chipolte, italian herbs, and black peppercorn are great.

Comment

Try this marinade called Game Tame. It is really good stuff. The best I have ever used.

Comment

Dale's.

Comment

Depends on the cut and how I'm cooking it. For bacon-wrapped backstrap on the grill, I will marinate overnite in 3 parts Italian dressing to 1 part Allegro. After wiping off the excess I use some stuff called "Grub Rub" (should be available in most stores) on it before the bacon goes on.

Comment

Jerp, FightingAg

Is this the stuff you guys are talking about?

Crafted to satisfy the most avid hunters and anglers, Allegro's Game Tame Marinade transforms your catch into a succulent feast!

Casey,

Is this the stuff you're talking about?

Welcome to the home page for Dale's Seasoning, the #1 marinade in the nation! Use Dale's on beef, pork chicken, fish and vegetables.

Thanks guys...

Comment

I use the Allegro Original - I haven't tried the Game Tamer version. You can find it where they stock the Worchestershire and stuff like that. The flavor is a bit strong for my taste when used straight, that's why I dilute it with basic Italian dressing. (Wishbone,etc) If you use it straight I wouldn't marinate for more than a couple hours especially if you are going to add other seasonings. It has quite a bit of salt in it.

Comment

Casey's right on with the Dales, and you have the right website. I also like the A-1 marinade for grilling if you don't have time.

But try this marinade and sauce overtop slices of backstrap for a special treat. Great for duck as well. My wife never eats venison, but when I make a good sauce, like this one, she'll eat and entire plate. I made this with duck for Christmas a few years ago, and it's now tradition....which says quite a bit.

1 cup soy sauce
                1 cup Sherry
                20-ounce Venison Backstrap
                12 frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed, halved
                1 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
                1 cup beef stock or canned beef broth
                1/2 cup ruby Port
                1 fresh thyme sprig

1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
                1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, room temperature

Preparation

Whisk soy sauce and Sherry in medium bowl to blend. Place backstrap (Either whole or medallions, whatever you prefer) in glass baking dish. Pour marinade over. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
                Bring cherries, chicken stock, beef stock, Port and thyme sprig to boil in heavy medium saucepan over high heat. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat heavy large skillet over medium heat. Remove backastrap from marinade. Add to skillet. Cook until medium rare or whatever you like. Transfer to work surface.

Add cornstarch mixture to Port-cherry sauce. Bring to simmer, whisking constantly. Add butter 1 piece at a time, whisking until butter is melted before adding next piece. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Slice venison thinly on diagonal and fan out on plates. Spoon Port-cherry sauce over venison and serve (scalloped potatoes or orzo with a little fresh parm cheese makes a good bed to put it over)

Comment

Sounds delicious, Teuf - just printed that off and will add to the recipe file.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Teuf, that sounds like a meal for a king, not a pauper like me! It really sounds great. Thanks again.

Comment

Yep thats the stuff. Try it out man!

Comment

Try some Dale's or Moore's (same stuff but Moore's has less salt) and some Ky Bourbon. I like Evan Williams for cooking. Its cheaper and has aged longer then most the brands out there. I let them soak for about 30 mins or so.

Comment

Depending on how much carne...

Balsamic vinegar
                          soy sauce
                          caro light corn syrup
                          fresh: minced garlic,green onions,jalapeno
                          orange peel/juice
                          dry spice: natures seasoning,fajita seasoning,black pepper

30 minutes is good but I like to marinade overnight for the best results.

Comment

grubrub

Comment

Working...
                            X