Pack'in In recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pack'in In recipe?

We pack in to our Colorado camp so we try to pack light, I try to come up with something good and easy and LIGHT(carry up the hill) to eat on the Mountain.

We have a abundant trout and hopefully elk.

I like to pack in powdered Pistashio pudding and powdered milk already mixed together then add water to the plastic bag it is in to make the pudding then add to crushed mint oreos. Sounds odd but it is actually good! Called grasshoppers. Homemade Pemmicin makes a good snack

Also like to use foil to cook the trout under the coals, and the usual frying the fish and tenderloin.

If anyone has any other great ideas for easy carry and cook over or under the fire please add them here! We generally dont carry a heavy dutch oven, just a light skillet, and one large pan.

Thanks,

Kelly

Ramen noodles are great.

Comment

look at the dehydrated food. I think they even have ice cream.

Also you can make biscuits or donughts with cinamin and sugar.

You can also scramble eggs with cheese and other things in a ziploc bag. Make them ahead of time with your favorite toppings, seasoning, etc in the bag. Just drop them in boling water and enjoy.

In Scouts, we would take a large zip lock bag and slip it over our frisbees or plates and eat our meal with a spoon. Be careful not to cut the bag. When you are done, turn the bag inside out and wash with soap and water and the dishes are done.

Comment

Not for packing, but worked great for camping near my truck.

I made 2, large disposable aluminum trays of spaghetti, grilled sausage and tomato sauce. Baked them in the over at home, and covered with aluminum foil and froze. I put into a cooler with some dry ice at the start of the drive to the hunt, and every night we'd scoop a bunch out and heat up in a pot. Some nights when we were exhausted we had that and come canned soup, others it was a side dish with some chicken or pork chops. Either way it was a fill-you-up and high carb meal to give us energy.

Lots of food to eat without prep in the dark.

Comment

Packing in is my favorite kind of hunting.
          For breakfast - oatmeal and rasins just boil water and your done.
          Lunch- bagel, cheese, salami some dehydrated fruit and jerky. I mix tang or V. C supplement to my water.
          Dinner- Go dehydrated all the way. They weigh next to nothing and all you have to do is boil the water. I tried MREs but they are much heavier and there is a lot of wasted stuff in each one plus they cost alot.
          Also, one trick I learned was to take some packages of honey the kind you get a reasturant you can pour it on a bagel or eat it straight and it will give you quite a boost late in the afternoon.

Of course nothing is better than natures own fillets and backstrap - good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
          X