What arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What arrows?

I have a 45# recurve and have another currently being built.

What arrows does everyone like? I always shot carbon arrows out of my compound, but they are not spined right for a 45# bow.

Whats the pro's and con's of each arrow type? Carbon, wood, or aluminum? Which is the better all around arrow for hunting?

Carbons out of trad bows like a lot of point weight and need to be a little longer. It depends on your draw lenght on that 45# bow. Best thing to do is bareshaft you arrows using OL Adcocks tuning method. But Beman MFX carbons I would use the 500 or try those new 600 from Easton.

Comment

Try a full length gold tip 35/55 with fish tank air line tube for weight and a 125gr tip. it will give you a 600gr arrow and should fly good out of a 45lb bow.

Comment

I'm a carbon fan myself

Comment

Dahmer, get you some carbon express Terminator Hunter Selects in 45/60. The thing I like about CX is they are heavy enough. Most all the others are too light. Go to a website like Kustom King or 3 Rivers Archery and get you some heavy points. Start with a long arrow and shorten to spine. Once you get comfortable shooting these, we'll talk about real arrows; Port Orford Cedar. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

I shoot mostly cedar, but have been playing with the carbon express. They really like my bows. I use standard weight 125 grain points or Bear Razorheads without the bleeder, about 135 grains.
          Last edited by LostHawg; 04-12-2007, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Carbon sumthins in a .500 spine and alot of experimentation. Good luck...

Comment

Hey Lost Hawg what tool did you fletch those arrows with.What a mean twist.

Comment

Carbon Vapor Wood 3000 shoot great out of both my 41 and 54 pound Red Wing Hunters. 28.5 inches, 5 inch feathers. Very durable too. With a 100 grain tip they weight 400 grains. I would not go much lighter in weight. I've shot cedar arrows weighing a lot more, and I'm happy with how there fly. Penetration on 3d targets is as good as the guys shooting wood and heavy aluminum, have not hit a pig with a broadhead yet (batting zero for one with a recurve) to report.

Comment

I shoot full length Gold Tip 35/55's out of my 45# Bear recurve. On the tip I have a 100 gr. brass insert and 125 grain tip for a total of 225 gr. up front. Wrap or painted crest with 5" parablolic and shields. These fly great. I actually bareshafted this setup for a 49# R/D longbow but they work great out of both. I shot a smaller pig with the longbow and a Magnus 2 blade on the end of one of these arrows. Plenty of penetration and flew great. I don't know about the others but the GT's seem real durable. The only ones that have broke were 1) in the pig mentioned above when she rolled on it while hanging out both sides and 2) an ALMOST robin hood that split the nock and nock end of the recipient arrow.

Comment

I use a JoJan monofletcher and I adjusted the receiver and rest to get as much helical as the fletcher would allow.

Been thinking about it and the 45/60s may be a bit stiff. You'd probably do well with the GT 35/55s. You can weight them with aquarium tubing or order the weight tubes from 3 Rivers or the like.

Try a 2013 aluminum too.

Comment

Well I bought a dozen 35/55 goldtips and filled 6 of them with sand and put aqaurium tubing in the other six arrows.

The sand filled arrows take awhile to get there, but they are hitting with authority!

The aqaurium tubing keeps popping the nocks out when the arrow hits the target. I have lost over a dozen nocks now. Do I have to glue the tubing inside the arrow?

Comment

Working...
                      X