Mountain Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Bike

Looking to get back in shape and I’m tired of $100 academy bikes. Been looking at Specialized hard rock and rockhopper models. What other brands/models should I consider? Looking at the lower end models and shopping used. Academy did have a nice diamondback for a good price with their bike sale that’s on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santa cruz. Their blur xc is nice. Try Ebay also for a good used mountain bike.

Comment

Look into giant as well. Where are you located? They are also running. 0% finance option on theirs at the moment

Comment

Trek usually has a good entry level bike with nice components.

Comment

Thanks everyone. So as long as I stay with a known quality brand, any of their models should be a good starting point that can be upgraded later? I'm in Magnolia so I need to go check out a few shops at some point but I know ill buy used just to save some money.

Comment

I had a diamondback and it was no where near the quality of Specialized or Trex.

Comment

Get on Craigslist usually they have some good stuff

Comment

Wife and I looked at a ton of Bike a few months ago and ended up getting Giant's. No complaints so far, and for the price it had a lot more upgrades than the other brands in the same price bracket.

Built on a lightweight ALUXX aluminum frame that features classic hardtail design plus the balanced riding characteristics of larger diameter 29-inch wheels, Talon 29 is a great choice for XC terrain. The frame geometry...

Comment

There are a few options on craigslist. Prices seem all over the board though. I guess the lower end models hold more value? 2011 Rockhopper is listed at 390 but a 2010 stump jumper is $500? Why is one almost MSRP for the year and one is 1/5 of what it cost? Condition is a bit varied and shock needs service but still. Any way to know you are getting a decent deal other than to just compare a lot of them?

Comment

Salsa Timberjack. Around $1K new for lowest end model but still alot of bike if you can swing that much$.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      There are a few options on craigslist. Prices seem all over the board though. I guess the lower end models hold more value? 2011 Rockhopper is listed at 390 but a 2010 stump jumper is $500? Why is one almost MSRP for the year and one is 1/5 of what it cost? Condition is a bit varied and shock needs service but still. Any way to know you are getting a decent deal other than to just compare a lot of them?
                      If your buying used I would get it looked at by a shop before purchasing, repairs get expensive fast.

The problem we had when we were looking was that we couldn't find the sizes we needed. Everything was either too small, too beat up, or overpriced.

Comment

Size is key, go to a bike shop and let them measure you so you can get an idea what size frame you need. Specialized, Scott, trek, giant, Marin all have good entry level bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                          Santa cruz. Their blur xc is nice. Try Ebay also for a good used mountain bike.
                          I ride the Tallboy. Santa Cruz all day long.

Comment

Every used bike I have bought has had problems. Go to a dealer. Both my boys bought some pretty good bikes with upgrades for less than $400.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                              Looking to get back in shape and I’m tired of $100 academy bikes. Been looking at Specialized hard rock and rockhopper models. What other brands/models should I consider? Looking at the lower end models and shopping used. Academy did have a nice diamondback for a good price with their bike sale that’s on.

I bought a rigid frame 4” Gravity fat bike from bikesdirect.com for $500. Decent quality...for a base bike frame where components can be upgraded as desired. Came unassembled in a box...easy build. Rear sprocket really sucked and BucksBikes changed it out for free for me when i took the bike in for them to adjust everything proper like. I really liked how I could build a bike to my body as opposed to making me fit some off the shelf bike.

I just bought my wife a 3” Specialized Fat Bike. Got her the extra cushiony seat too. She loves it.

Check out your local bikes shop...they may have mark downs on last years models for moving product for this and next years models.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X