Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Solo Elk Scouting Trip: What I Learned (and Dealing with Altitude Sickness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The Inreach is great. They just announced the Inreach mini, which I wanted but couldn't get before this trip. I got the explorer and am very happy with it, especially for a solo trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome video and thanks for all the info!! Does the Inreach double as a GPS or is it just for messages?

Comment

Kudos to you for heading out and doing that on your own! IMO, there are way too many people these days that would not dream of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Awesome video and thanks for all the info!! Does the Inreach double as a GPS or is it just for messages?
        The one I have (Explorer +) has GPS and mapping features. They also have the SE and now the mini that are a bit more limited.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Hydration hydration hydration... If you're not stopping every couple hours to pee on the drive up, you're getting behind the curve on staying off altitude sickness. I try to stay below 8K my first night and that seems to help

You'll be amazed how much better the Kifaru pack will be. I ran a badlands 2200 for my hunts for a long time and there's just no comparison. Even though the Badlands has the hip belt, load lifters etc, it just doesn't carry the weight

Justin's almond butter is the bomb

Before you go crazy on a sleeping bag, what's your ground setup. There's a lot of heat lost to the ground and if you don't have a solid pad then a bigger bag isn't going to help al lot. You just compress all the loft with your body weight in a bag. Can you make up R value with some of your layers. I imagine you're going to be packing a puffy (vest or jacket), Adding a bigger bag is just going to add more volume and weight when you've got the insulation you may need right there in the pack.

If temps get near freezing, tuck that Sawyer inside your quilt at night and against your body during the day. They're no bueno when they freeze

I find my appetite is next to nothing at altitude, I find a spot with a view and force myself to sit down, soak it all in and put some calories back.

Don't know if you're using trekking poles or not, but they're a game changer. Only downside is it takes your weapon out of your hands when using both

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
            Hydration hydration hydration... If you're not stopping every couple hours to pee on the drive up, you're getting behind the curve on staying off altitude sickness. I try to stay below 8K my first night and that seems to help

You'll be amazed how much better the Kifaru pack will be. I ran a badlands 2200 for my hunts for a long time and there's just no comparison. Even though the Badlands has the hip belt, load lifters etc, it just doesn't carry the weight

Justin's almond butter is the bomb

Before you go crazy on a sleeping bag, what's your ground setup. There's a lot of heat lost to the ground and if you don't have a solid pad then a bigger bag isn't going to help al lot. You just compress all the loft with your body weight in a bag. Can you make up R value with some of your layers. I imagine you're going to be packing a puffy (vest or jacket), Adding a bigger bag is just going to add more volume and weight when you've got the insulation you may need right there in the pack.

If temps get near freezing, tuck that Sawyer inside your quilt at night and against your body during the day. They're no bueno when they freeze

I find my appetite is next to nothing at altitude, I find a spot with a view and force myself to sit down, soak it all in and put some calories back.

Don't know if you're using trekking poles or not, but they're a game changer. Only downside is it takes your weapon out of your hands when using both
            Good info! I think lack of hydration on the trail was the biggest culprit. I spent a couple of nights in Denver, and my first night on the trail at around 7000'. We're not hunting opening weekend, so it'll be hard not to want to get up the trail and start hunting as soon as we can.

I have a good pad with a decent R value that insulated me from the ground. I got a little chilled due to drafts when the quilt lifted. There are also some spots from quilt baffles that can create cool spots. I like the quilt I have, but it's honestly cheap for a down quilt and has some shortcomings. Kifaru is introducing a new quilt this week. Depending on price, I may opt for that.

I had two trekking poles, but found myself only using one. It worked well. With a heavy load, two would make a big difference.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great info, thanks for taking us along. Will be doing the same thing this September. Think I’m going to pick up that inReach mini to keep my wife from thinking I’m dead and remarrying, lol

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                Great info, thanks for taking us along. Will be doing the same thing this September. Think I’m going to pick up that inReach mini to keep my wife from thinking I’m dead and remarrying, lol
                Garmin announced the Mini the week before I left but it doesn't start shipping for a couple of weeks. I did see some pre-release reviews and actually reached out to Garmin to see if I could get my hands on one to test...but never got a response. The Explorer went on sale the week I was leaving so I went ahead and purchased one for the trip. I was tempted to return it and get the mini, but I've decided just to keep the Explorer.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Garmin announced the Mini the week before I left but it doesn't start shipping for a couple of weeks. I did see some pre-release reviews and actually reached out to Garmin to see if I could get my hands on one to test...but never got a response. The Explorer went on sale the week I was leaving so I went ahead and purchased one for the trip. I was tempted to return it and get the mini, but I've decided just to keep the Explorer.

Yeah I already have a Garmin Oregon 600t that I’m really comfortable with so I dont need the gps feature, just wish the mini was a little cheaper. May have to just sell mine and get the one like you had.

Comment

Awesome video Michael, you're going to love the hunt come September

Comment

You are living my dream hunt. Best of luck to ya

Comment

I used to climb in Colorado. My usual routine for altitude is to get there a couple days early and sleep at about 7,000. Drive up to 9,000 and do an easy hike spending a good part of the day, then go back down to 7,000 to sleep. The motto is climb high sleep low. If you are sleeping at 10-11k, you need to acclimate. Altitude doesn't care what shape you are in. Pulminary and cerebral edema are serious. The previous post of the paranoid hunter sounded like cerebral edema. The older I get the longer it takes to acclimate. I've used diamox before when I needed to push the envelope but the best remedy is to spend time at alttude and come back down to sleep for a couple days good luck, have fun!

Comment

^^^^^ Great info, thanks for sharing. Quick question; how do you know when you are acclimated?? as most peeps are different...

Comment

I need to get up there and do this. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I have always taken this as directed and have never had a issue with altitude.

Comment

You should have made the trek to Everest Base Camp, with Chunky ... I bet that'd have got you squared away!

Comment

Working...
                                X