The "I don't know Africa thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bort View Post
    In my opinion, the controversy behind Africa relates to its people and their relationship to the land. For example, the US has more wilderness than the entire continent of Africa. That being said, there is plenty of rural land with wild game on it through out Africa, but you will run into people living on it and hunting the animals. The animals are hunted not only for food, but to protect the local’s livestock, crops, and lives. This obviously put pressure on Animal populations in Africa as it did in the US in pre-Rosevelt era.

However, countries like South Africa realized the profit potential of Big Game hunting and began protecting its resources with parks, game laws, and the enforcement of anti-poaching laws. Private individuals did so by high fencing their land and catering to Western hunters.

Yes, there are places that partake in canned hunts and wildlife that is essentially treated like livestock. That being said, the profitization of wildlife resources has pretty much saved countless species across the continent.

If the high fence thing really bothers any of you, I would suggest booking a hunt with an outfittter that either operates on a huge place (10,000 acres or more) or that has no high fence at all. If you can get away from South Africa or Kenya, a lot of other, yet less well known countries in Africa offer free range hunts. Unfortunately these countries are more expensive to hunt in and get to.

Finally, I truly believe there are two distinct types of people in this world; those that don’t care to ever go to Africa and those that long for it. Once you go, you’ll want to go back again.

For more info, check out this podcast. It provides an interesting perspective on hunting Africa from an experienced African hunter and writer:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000391032880
    Hunting is illegal in Kenya.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
      Can you be more specific about the free range hunts?

What do you mean? Or another way, what would you like to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post

And has been since the late 60s I believe. Thats the reason theres no wildlife outside the national parks

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
          I have been to Zimbabwe three times. I hunted on places that ranged from 32k acres to over 100k acres. Any place that has dangerous game in Zimbabwe is required to be high fenced. Their high fences are quite different from ours not only in the structure but also in the way they are maintained. The bottom line is that even though you are behind a high fence, there is no doubt it is a free range hunt. Looking forward to my next trip, probably in two years.

There are many many areas where you hunt dangerous game in Zimbabwe with no high fence. There are government concessions, tribal concessions and private ranches. Some of the old private ranches were the only high fences and most of those havent been maintained since Mugabe started the redistribution of land.

You also arent keeping a population of 100,000 elephants behind an 8 or 10 foot fence not to mention leopards.

Comment

So how do you know up front that you are hunting a place that is high fenced but free range versus animals being trucked in? It seems like when money is involved people tend to lie or color the truth in their favor (just a general statement.)

Same as you would a whitetail hunt in Texas, just ask. Make sure you ask about a high fence and not free range. Some people like to be liberal about the definition of free range.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              Sorry, I meant Tanzania.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                I refused to hunt Africa behind a fence. I don’t care if others choose otherwise, but it defeats the reasons to hunt Africa in my opinion. Nearly got killed in the process, but it was a truly wild adventure.

Africa is what you make of it. If you want to sit a water hold and fling arrows, it’s there. If you want to hunt on foot in the middle of vast wilderness, it’s there.

Here is a report of my hunt in Zambia.
                http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=453509
                Great write up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  I refused to hunt Africa behind a fence. I don’t care if others choose otherwise, but it defeats the reasons to hunt Africa in my opinion. Nearly got killed in the process, but it was a truly wild adventure.

Africa is what you make of it. If you want to sit a water hold and fling arrows, it’s there. If you want to hunt on foot in the middle of vast wilderness, it’s there.

Here is a report of my hunt in Zambia.
                  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=453509
                  You can do both, sit at a waterhole in the late dry season where stalking is almost impossible or try to spot and stalk and BOTH on a HF and NEVER see a fence. Since you have bern you should know thise animals do not know what a fence is. Just ssying but you are entitled to your opinion just like I am. I have done both in Sept, not the easiest time for spot and stalk but I was succesful.

You know for sure these animals know no boundaries or fences.

Comment

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
                    What do you mean? Or another way, what would you like to know?

To clarify I have an interest in hunting in Africa. I just don't want to hunt a place where it is a kick and shoot and would prefer to hunt to a place that is truly free range. I have read people say that everything in South Africa is high fenced. (Some people who don't know better say similar things about Texas.)

So specifically where are you hunting free range? What are the outfitters?

"Some of the best hunts Ive done are free range in South Africa. "

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      You can do both, sit at a waterhole in the late dry season where stalking is almost impossible or try to spot and stalk and BOTH on a HF and NEVER see a fence. Since you have bern you should know thise animals do not know what a fence is. Just ssying but you are entitled to your opinion just like I am. I have done both in Sept, not the easiest time for spot and stalk but I was succesful.

You know for sure these animals know no boundaries or fences.
                      You can do both styles of hunting, that is true. I don’t agree with the fence part.

I hunted 40k acres and at times of the year there are no Buffalo because they migrate around based on lion hunting pressure. Hippos come and go via the river and one night I could hear them outside my hut less than 30 yards away. The group before mine had to park a truck in front of the lodge door because a pride of lions kept coming into camp a night. Wild lions, not pen raised and released ones. If we are talking plains game, I suppose it doesn’t matter much. If we are talking migrating game, dangerous game or wanting a true old world experience, I think it certainly does. Again, my opinion.

Along with that, most ranches in SA offer 10-20 different species, many of which don’t exist natively together. Many have been bred and released and even if they don’t see a fence, they aren’t native there.

Again, I have no problem with HF hunting (I’ve done it quite a bit here in Texas) but it just isn’t what I want for an African hunt.

Comment

I've been to Africa 6 times. Hunted Zimbabwe mostly. Also traveled thru Tanzania, Botswana, Kenya and S. Africa. Never hunted a fenced property but wouldn't have cared if it was. Like others I never was excited about hunting Africa...till I went the first time. It's a blast!!!

Nothing like being so close to buffalo you can hear their stomachs gurgling and trees shaking but you can't find the one you want. Somewhere in the back of your mind you remember they are the most dangerous animal on earth, Or having a lion walk by with blood on his face and an arrogant look that says you are below him on the food chain. Then there's leopards. Up close live they look like evil personified. And the elephants . Getting get close to elephants with nothing between you measures your courage. Let them start trumpeting and mock charge and all the bravura you thought you had diminishes rapidly.

The scenery, the people the wildlife, the fact you can go during our summer which is so hot you can't breath and its winter there...whats not to like. Well the trip is a bear and the malaria meds suck but beyond that I go every chance I get.

I've hunted and done photo safaris. Hunting is better though there are plenty of cool things to see. I once had a guide in Kenya many years ago that managed Charlie Watts ranch [ drummer of Rolling Stones ] He took us a tour that was most unforgettable.Wreaked of Earnest Hemmingway. I could on and on but know it is good stuff!

Comment

To clarify I have an interest in hunting in Africa. I just don't want to hunt a place where it is a kick and shoot and would prefer to hunt to a place that is truly free range. I have read people say that everything in South Africa is high fenced. (Some people who don't know better say similar things about Texas.)

Specifically, Zambia with Andrew Baldry. Read my post and if you are interested, I can send you his contacts. If he isn't currently taking clients, he can point you to several that he trusts. I think they have a group hunt coming up that looks outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                            Great write up.
                            Thanks!

Comment

been twice would go again. if its not for you don't go.

Comment

You can do it any where in South Africa. Its like saying do you want a free range or high fence hunt in Texas for whitetail or specifically the Hill Country?

Zander Osmers hunts near Kruger and can do combo hunting and national park trips. Ill say the same thing about the US where Ive hunted free range next to Teton National Park and came home without a shot opportunity, its all wild. There are many outfitters on the Zim Mozambique and Botswana border who are free range. Some of the big guys with access to lots of free range and/or HF ranches are Tam, Chattaronga, Madabula, Blauwkrantz. Theres another outfit in the cape who is free range but I cant for the life of me remember the name. Talk to Bowhunting Safari Consultants or go to one of the many safari club gatherings across Texas to talk to outfitters and hunters personally. Or PM me for more detail.

Comment

Working...
                                X