• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
    Strapon?
    I'm assuming he hunts with a "buddy"

Comment

This is interesting. I already use tree climbers (gaffs). Following this one to see how comfortable it is.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        There's a Louisiana hunter by the name of Warren Womack in his 70's still prepping trees and hanging from a harness...
        He also has meticulous records of every deer he ever killed (several hundred)

He is a southern legend. But, if he can still hunt mobile with a lock on or a saddle at his age... I have no excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about this from a guy who will only hunt from a tree saddle and he's 66 years old. He says he's not stopping any time soon.

I going to have to look up this Warren Womack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone hunt from a tree saddle?

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
          This thread has me interested in trying new stuff now. I will probably get something like this set up to go with my climbing harness before the season gets here. Maybe this is the sitdrag modification ike is talking about.
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z_OVhk7U2JY

Very similar. I don't use the rock climbing harness, but added a waist belt to the Sitdrag.

As well as some loops for Molle dump pouches and places to tie stuff

Instead of sitting straight down in it, like a guido's web or new tribe Aerohunter, I lean into the saddle. Almost like leaning against a counter. With this setup, your hips would get pinched pretty tight if you tried to sit all day instead of stand.

I doubt I will ever use any Lone wolf stand more than a couple times a year now.... the saddle is just too easy.

Here is the completed saddle

And here is everything I need to get into a tree, climbing spurs and saddle included... grab this bag, grab my bow, and into the woods I go. I can climb any tree I want within 5-10 minutes max With this.

My style is no where near as comfortable as an Aerohunter, but it is SUPER light, and the sitdrag is only like $30. A little sewing experience and some good upholstery thread... and you are good to go.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Very similar. I don't use the rock climbing harness, but added a waist belt to the Sitdrag.

Instead of sitting straight down in it, like a guido's web or new tribe Aerohunter, I lean into the saddle. Almost like leaning against a counter. With this setup, your hips would get pinched pretty tight if you tried to sit all day instead of stand.

I doubt I will ever use any Lone wolf stand more than a couple times a year now.... the saddle is just too easy.

And here is everything I need to get into a tree, climbing spurs and saddle included... grab this bag, grab my bow, and into the woods I go. I can climb any tree I want within 5-10 minutes max With this.

My style is no where near as comfortable as an Aerohunter, but it is SUPER light, and the sitdrag is only like $30. A little sewing experience and some good upholstery thread... and you are good to go.

So you use the spurs huh? That would make things even more simple!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
              So you use the spurs huh? That would make things even more simple!

But the land you can use them on is very limited. No forestry service, no state WMA, and not on any national refuge...
              basically private land and Army Corps only for spurs.
              I use modified (everything I use is modified) Hawk Helium sticks and fabric aiders for properties where you can't damage trees.

Comment

I also use a similar system to Ikeman. It is a sitdrag and I have it attached to a rock climbing harness. The only weight and force applied is on the sitdrag but the harness is there as a fail safe. Should something happen, the harness would be there to catch me after a 2" drop... Not a 2' or more drop like a safely harness you are used to.

I went with the sitdrag and Stepp Ladder climbing system as I too did not want to spend the $$$ on a commercial s as ddle stand. But after seeing how good this system works, I am considering getting a Guido s web for the longer all day hunts in deer season and keeping the sitdrag for the shorter summer hog hunts and scouting.

It takes some practice, but given a chance, it is the best hunting method I have ever tried for comfort/versatility!

Comment

Like IkemanTX and gettin closer, I use a modified sitdrag; I use a rock climbing harness like gettin closer does.

Light, mobile, quiet, adaptable and multi use; what's not to like?

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Do the spurs not make a ton of noise if you try to maneuver around the tree for a shot? And I assume you wouldn't use this set up too often in pines because of noise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

But the land you can use them on is very limited. No forestry service, no state WMA, and not on any national refuge...
                        basically private land and Army Corps only for spurs.
                        I use modified (everything I use is modified) Hawk Helium sticks and fabric aiders for properties where you can't damage trees.

I'm only hunting private land so no problems there. Can you recommend a best choice for a set of spurs? I'd like something easy, light, quiet, not complicated but secure. I'd really like not having to haul sticks or steps out every time and then be able to climb anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                          Like IkemanTX and gettin closer, I use a modified sitdrag; I use a rock climbing harness like gettin closer does.

Light, mobile, quiet, adaptable and multi use; what's not to like?

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                          I also use a similar system to Ikeman. It is a sitdrag and I have it attached to a rock climbing harness. The only weight and force applied is on the sitdrag but the harness is there as a fail safe. Should something happen, the harness would be there to catch me after a 2" drop... Not a 2' or more drop like a safely harness you are used to.

I went with the sitdrag and Stepp Ladder climbing system as I too did not want to spend the $$$ on a commercial s as ddle stand. But after seeing how good this system works, I am considering getting a Guido s web for the longer all day hunts in deer season and keeping the sitdrag for the shorter summer hog hunts and scouting.

It takes some practice, but given a chance, it is the best hunting method I have ever tried for comfort/versatility!

Man I'v surprised at the number of people using these on here an no one has ever talked about it!

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                            Do the spurs not make a ton of noise if you try to maneuver around the tree for a shot? And I assume you wouldn't use this set up too often in pines because of noise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I take the spurs off at hunting height. I use either the top of my steps (for a short hunt), a homemade platform made from the seat of my lone wolf (pictured below)

Or, this year, I am trying out using 3 wild edge Stepps

I don't rely on the spikes for the full sit. I don't trust myself to maintain the proper angle and weight distribution for hours. Tearouts can occur with spikes, and they aren't fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                              I'm only hunting private land so no problems there. Can you recommend a best choice for a set of spurs? I'd like something easy, light, quiet, not complicated but secure. I'd really like not having to haul sticks or steps out every time and then be able to climb anything.

I would do it right the first time....
                              Climbright Aluminum spurs with the aluminum pads. They are light, will last you forever, and easily modified. The original straps need replacing because they are Velcro on top and loud metal connections on bottom. I modified mine using only 5 feet of 2" strap, 5 feet of 1" strap, and 2 buckles to fit each size strap.

Before

After

Comment

I would do it right the first time....
                                Climbright Aluminum spurs with the aluminum pads. They are light, will last you forever, and easily modified. The original straps need replacing because they are Velcro on top and loud metal connections on bottom. I modified mine using only 5 feet of 2" strap, 5 feet of 1" strap, and 2 buckles to fit each size strap.

Before

After

Will do. Can you tell me which of these are those?
                                Your Source for Professional Climb Right CTB Climbers, Tree Gaffs & Arborist Supplies. Arborist Power Equipment and Arborist Equipment for the arborist industry. Let Saw House Inc. help your business cut those big jobs down to size.

Comment

Working...
                                X