• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man turned out nice

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Nicely done Tubby.

Did you put a welt in the sheath? I'm not sure from the pictures but it looks as though it does not have one.

If I may, I would like to give some advice about sheaths for any fixed blade knife. If a welt is not used then it's alot easier for the blade to cut through the sticking thereby possibly injuring yourself or at the least ruining a good project.

For those that may not know, a welt is a leather spacer of one or more pieces of leather that run the length of the seam. It will prevent the blade from cutting through the stitches of the sheath.

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, there's a welt in there. (I didn't know what it was called)

That's the reason I built one for this knife. The sheath that came with the knife was fabric (maybe cordora) and did not have any type of welt and cut thru the stitching.

I tried to spend a lot of time on leaving the welt slightly tucked inside the front and back when I stitched it up to allow trimming it up and sanding it down to give it a nice, clean finished look.

Comment

Better pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a few knife sheaths i did. I have them I'n another thread on here thought id move them over
              Attached Files

Comment

Hand stitching stuff like this sux
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                  Better pics.
                  Very good job Tubby.

You'd be surprised how many people don't think of putting a welt in. I've even seen kits that didn't have them. A rivet at the opening and even at the point end is also a good strength and safety feature.

Comment

I said earlier that I hadn't made any thing for myself lately but I remembered I built myself a check book holder earlier this year as the plastic one from the bank had just about fallen apart.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I also ran into the sales guy at my welding supply that I made a sheath for last year. He wears it for self defense every day. I also made his brother one but it's a little different as they both designed them the way they wanted them. He and his brother practice the craft with each other with rubber knives. Even packing a gun, I don't want either of them mad at me, they look very good with knives to me.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Draco, your work has a very nice rustic quality about it. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          I also ran into the sales guy at my welding supply that I made a sheath for last year. He wears it for self defense every day. I also made his brother one but it's a little different as they both designed them the way they wanted them. He and his brother practice the craft with each other with rubber knives. Even packing a gun, I don't want either of them mad at me, they look very good with knives to me.
                          Cool i like that sheath.

Comment

Originally posted by BOWMAN1836 View Post
                            Hand stitching stuff like this sux
                            For my heavier work such as saddle skirting I like to use my Tippman's.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310432713.076358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24001790

But for the smaller jobs I still prefer to hand stitch useing the saddlers two needle stitch. I think I gives a more custom look.
                            Last edited by Geezy Rider; 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310434630.063018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24001800

This is my arm guard with my last name on it

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
                                For my heavier work such as saddle skirting I like to use my Tippman's.
                                [ATTACH]250827[/ATTACH]

But for the smaller jobs I still prefer to hand stitch useing the saddlers two needle stitch. I think I gives a more custom look.
                                I want that boss so bad !!! I've Ben trying to find a used one. No luck

I use the double needle method and love the end result. But it takes me forever. One holster takes me 16 hours start to finish. About 4 to 6 hours is stitching. .

Comment

Working...
                                X