"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamrice View Post
    Does anyone have a list of which gates are closed all year and which ones will be opened at some point during the year? Would appreciate it if I could get a copy.
    not sure if that list exists but it would be nice to have. Here are a few I know are closed up until bow season when they open them:

233-A
    219-B

Comment

Originally posted by kabanh View Post
      Does any of yall have a topo
      topo is helpful, but my experience has been you need to check out the spots physically as its not always as it seems on the topo.

Comment

Well my wife has decided to take up bowhunting. This was of her own accord, so we are in the process of getting her set up. She is picking up her bow tomorrow. Mission craze with a 26.5 draw length. She is comfortable @ 35lbs but I'm trying to convince her to up to atleast 40lbs. What do you guys think? Can you get enough penetration with 35lbs @ 26.5 draw? Anyway it will be nice to hunt with the wife this season.

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
          Well my wife has decided to take up bowhunting. This was of her own accord, so we are in the process of getting her set up. She is picking up her bow tomorrow. Mission craze with a 26.5 draw length. She is comfortable @ 35lbs but I'm trying to convince her to up to atleast 40lbs. What do you guys think? Can you get enough penetration with 35lbs @ 26.5 draw? Anyway it will be nice to hunt with the wife this season.
          Yes you can, IF placed in the right spot. But in about 2 weeks of shooting nightly, she will be ready to up the poundage, even if it is only one pound a week.

Comment

Can you get enough penetration with 35lbs @ 26.5 draw?
            check out rage's website. their Rage 40KE broadhead is designed for bows with lower draw weights or lengths. their KE calculator uses arrow weight and speed to to calculate kinetic energy. once she's over 40 ft-lbs she'll need a different broadhead. according to their KE graph at her draw length she would be over 40 ft-lbs at about 45lb draw. hope this helps!

Comment

What do you guys think? Can you get enough penetration with 35lbs @ 26.5 draw?
              Firtst of all congrats on your wife hunting with you! It's awesome to have a hunting wife because you always have your hunting buddy with you!

Yes 35#@26.5 is enough because that's my wife's set up, and she has been kiling deer for a long time. Lots of times she gets complete pass thru's. I would suggest your wife shoot a cut on contact broadhead. (We don't shoot mechanicals) My wife shoots an 85 grain Montec.

Good luck to you and your wife this season, I hope she has a blast! -- Tod

Comment

First I'd like to welcome our new member Raptor012.

I too would recommend shooting a cut on contact head. When my boys were younger that is what they used and we never had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
                  Firtst of all congrats on your wife hunting with you! It's awesome to have a hunting wife because you always have your hunting buddy with you!

Yes 35#@26.5 is enough because that's my wife's set up, and she has been kiling deer for a long time. Lots of times she gets complete pass thru's. I would suggest your wife shoot a cut on contact broadhead. (We don't shoot mechanicals) My wife shoots an 85 grain Montec.

Good luck to you and your wife this season, I hope she has a blast! -- Tod
                  I'm switching to a two-blade Magnus this season, so I might try these for her as well. Nice looking bow by the way, I really would like to get into Tradional, but I just don't think I'm ready yet.

Comment

my wife is shooting the 100gr Magnus Buzzcuts and has never had a problem with them ..

Comment

Magnus makes a great broadhead for sure!

Comment

i'm hoping i can get a deer or two this year. a buck would be sweet. would like the chance to try out both types of rage's i got. think it would be cool to go turkey hunting too. haven't looked at regulations too much but i saw that rio grande turkey season archery starts sept. 29th as well

Comment

Originally posted by rageatvlawson View Post
                          Got 3 cams out right now, been out for 2 weeks gonna try to check them one day next week. Would like to find some pigs for target practice, know where some are but only seeing them after dark and haven't figured out where they going during day. Been all over the area during day and surrounding area just never see them butt got pics almost every night at like 2. Be nice if could get out and do some night hunting but oh well
                          WHere Have you Been seeing them at night? Im thinking about going out this weekend

Comment

Last month I went to SHNF twice and didnt see and signs of hogs. But I did see alot of deer. Mostly does and fawn, I did see oen really nice buck though. The east side of the hunting area seems too dense to even walk through in any area. Me and my friend just drove through to scout it out. Didnt see anything

Comment

Just rolled out headed up for some wandering. Anyone else up there today?

Comment

I went last week and seen 5 different groups of does and a group of 6 hogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X