Arizona OTC Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona OTC Mule Deer

Wondering if anyone has ever made the trip out west to go after muleys? I'm interested in units along the NM/AZ border (Clifton and surrounding areas) but if given a reason to go deeper into the state I'd be more than willing to go. Any experiences spotting and stalking, hunting water holes, whatever information or tips you'd be willing to share I'd love to hear about it. Seems like I'm stepping into a whole other world out west!

Also am certainly interested in tips for necessary gear or safety measures from anyone who has hunted out west at all.

Appreciate it!

I'd recommend building points in the states you want to hunt. From everything I've read about otc units, they're zoos. Even building a couple points makes a huge difference. Also invest in good, lightweight camping gear, clothes and buy good glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Champlaya7 View Post
      Wondering if anyone has ever made the trip out west to go after muleys? I'm interested in units along the NM/AZ border (Clifton and surrounding areas) but if given a reason to go deeper into the state I'd be more than willing to go. Any experiences spotting and stalking, hunting water holes, whatever information or tips you'd be willing to share I'd love to hear about it. Seems like I'm stepping into a whole other world out west!

Also am certainly interested in tips for necessary gear or safety measures from anyone who has hunted out west at all.

Appreciate it!
      I will be hunting Unit 27 (sounds like what you are looking at) in September. The plan is to camp at one of the main sites and hike in daily. A member here went back in January and posted. He was unsuccessful but said that packing in camp was not necessary as they were seeing deer daily after a short hike in. I will report back after my trip. Good luck with your research and hunt!

Comment

Arizona OTC Mule Deer

I’ve OTC hunted muleys in AZ several times and also have drawn a Kaibab archery tag. My strategy every year is to put in for the kaibab and the strip and if I strike out then I OTC hunt in late December for the rut. Meanwhile I’m stacking points for elk, sheep, antelope and not wasting the license fee. There are some monster bucks killed every year but you really have to hunt with someone that knows the area. Most the units are checkerboard public/private and it’s some huge open country. Shoot me a pm if you want to chat more on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X