A Year to Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Year to Remember

It's been a long, long road from my last east Texas buck to this one. About 7 years when we were still a two buck county ago I killed a pope & young buck with my bow for my first bow kill, then doubled up with a 130" with with my gun. The next October I missed a 140" 6.5 yr old 9 point at 19 yards with my bow. Flat out I didn't practice any that year and it cost me. Later that year I killed a mainframe 12 that scored 135", totally fooled me and was only 3.5 yrs old. I was sick after this. I knew I wanted to get my deer to 4.5+ if possible and I vowed from then I was going to start holding out for true monsters. Since then I have passed a ton of deer, over a dozen that would easily have been my personal best with gun and bow. I became obsessed with cameras and growing big deer. I've chased 3 really big deer and had my dad kill two of them (161 & 162") and a neighbor killed the freak which went (184"). I passed two of these deer as 4.5 ur olds with my rifle and although I didn't put my tag on them I couldn't be happier or more proud of my dad and what we've been able to do.

Fast forward to this year, I still havnt killed a buck in East Texas in 6 years. I really put a ton into bow hunting and have picked a good bit of more places to hunt. I own a crossfit gym and have a ton of free time and I definitely take advantage come season. It was a great year, I saw dozens of mature deer. One monster in bow season in the 50's that was a definite shooter but never got closer than 150 yards. All of October I stayed with my bow, gun hunted all November then went back to the bow in December. It was a balmy 80 degrees. I was swatting mosquitoes left and right. It had barely broke day when had I a big bodied deer coming in at a good clip. Immediately the heart rate elevated a little ask could tell it was a solid deer. He jumped straight in the pen and went to work on my rice bran. I snapped a few photos with my phone and just settled in to wait. I still didn't really have the daylight to get a good luck at the buck. As it became lighter and the birds woke up I kept getting more excited about the deer below me. He had really long beams. I finally decided it was a solid deer. He was mature and I didn't really feel like he was going to be anything special in the future. A few more head turns and those 22" beams sucked me in. I grabbed my Mathews and my heart instantly jumped to 100 bpm...funny how quickly adrenaline can course through your veins and change everything. I put the rage in his last rib quartering away. I settled in, 1-1000, 2-1000, in my head then let her rip. He hit the pen on the way out, reversed course and made it about 20 yards before piling up. It had been a journey from my last east texas buck to the last. I passed so mAny deer in that time. A ton bigger score wise than this deer, even this year with my bow in hand I passed a deer that would score 10-15" bigger but wasn't old enough. I couldn't have been happier. He went low 120's and will forever be that icebreaker buck for me that got me back in the game. A week later in Walker county I had a really good deer come in that had been previously shot. He was bad off. Skin and bones. He was mature but I most likely would have given him another year as I had already passed him a few times but he wouldn't have survived so I ran an arrow through him as well. He was low 120's as well with 22" beams. Im very blessed to be able to spend the time I do in the woods. 1000's & 1000's of hours went into these two bucks. Can't wait to see what next year holds...thanks and enjoy.

Walker county
    Last edited by Tshelly; 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM.

Awesome. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on your bucks and your patience and persistance!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

A Year to Remember

Congrats!! It'll happen brother karma is due lol to many good deer were passed

Comment

Congrats, great buck ! Btw, how big was the buck that won y'alls contest ? What county ?

Comment

I'll post it. A 161 mainframe 8 with trash is winning it from Trinity county. One week left, it runs til the end of muzzleloader season. I believe one of the real big deer seen on this forum is in the contest as well. He hasn't had his deer scored yet though

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                Congrats!! It'll happen brother karma is due lol to many good deer were passed

Thanks brother!! It's a never ending game

Comment

Nothing but respect here . I know how you hunt and those are well deserved deer. No telling what next year will bring your way!

Comment

nice east texas bucks. Congrats

Comment

That is a great year! Congrats!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, Is this the 8pt thats leading the contest?
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Just out of curiosity, Is this the 8pt thats leading the contest?

No sir. This deer came off white rock creek/north Glendale area

Comment

Thats a whopper!

Comment

Working...
                              X