Okra recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okra recipes?

My dad gave me about 2 pounds of okra from his garden. I need some easy caveman recipes other than fried? Any suggestions?

I'm not help since the only way I eat it is fried. I've tried it other ways, but man they are so good fried.

Comment

Sauteed Shrimp with okra and tomatoes
      •1 pound okra, trimmed, washed, sliced
      •3 tablespoons olive oil
      •3 tablespoons butter
      •1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
      •1 green bell pepper; seeded and coarsely chopped
      •4 large tomatoes; peeled, seeded and chopped
      •1/2 cup dry white wine
      •2 tablespoons lemon juice
      •1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
      •salt
      •black pepper
      •1 to 1 1/2 pounds shrimp; peeled and deveined and sprinkled with Tony's
      •hot cooked rice

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet until the butter is melted. Add the onion and bell pepper; toss to coat evenly. Stir in the okra and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
      Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften. Add the shrimp and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink and opaque.
      Serve with hot cooked rice.
      Serves 4.
      Last edited by jerp; 07-17-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I'm picking a 5 gal bucket full about every 3 days. To keep okra for frying all year, cut up and put in 1 gal zip-lock- add corn meal and shake to coat real well. Put in freezer and take out what you what to fry during the year and put the rest back in freezer.
        Okra & tomotoes. Cut okra, peeled tomotoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper and tony's. Simmer on medium til okra is soft, usually about 2 1/2 hours. Freeze in qt zip-locks for winter time delight. This also is good over rice

Comment

Working...
        X