Summer food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer food plot

I just took over a lease a few miles north of Eldorado. We have 5 2000# protein feeders 9 corn feeders and 7 water stations along with cottonseed alfalfa and some mineral blocks already out and running. One pasture has two fields that use to be planted yearly until the land owners father stopped farming. So I know the land is fertile. There is some rocks and few mesquites that have popped up since no one has planted in them in many years. I am new to the food plot game but not afraid to put in the work and spend the money. At this time I don't have much equipment. I can make a home made drag and spray the field with round up. What would be the best drought resistant summer plot as the irrigation isn't working at this time. What would be best to plant and when. What would be the steps y'all would take. Sorry for all the questions just wanting to get this right the first time. If all goes well I would like to do a fall food plot in the same fields. The area in I'm working with is about 50acs but I am trying to do only about 5 of it as a trail and error plot. Maybe step it up next year. I have considered hiring someone to plant a plot for me just not sure what that would cost. Plus I like to do things myself. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

I know what works well here in NE Texas but maybe not so well there. I would stop by the local feed and seed store and ask what grows well in the area for spring and summer. And then research what the deer like of the choices that do well there. just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
    X