Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Stair Help DIYers

All,

I need some help designing a set of hand rails for this set of ladder stairs:

Anyone have any good ideas of how to build a set of sturdy, but not too large hand rails for these stairs? Some ideas I had were:

- Wooden with just ripped 2x4's and such
    - galvanized pipe with fittings (fittings can get expensive quick)
    - Store bought handrail brackets and a wooden handrail on top of those

Anybody got any better thoughts?
    Attached Files

The side of that stair / Ladder is a 2x6 if that helps you any. Each step is a 2x6 also.

Comment

Build some that fold in and out.

Comment

Couple ideas.
        Attached Files

Comment

2X^

Comment

If you decide to go the fitting/pipe route check out "Kee Klamps". I have used them for several projects. You are right that they are pricey but they are high quality commercial grade. I just buy the fittings and get pipe locally.

Over 100 different types of Kee Klamp fittings to choose from. These diverse connections allow you to create structural connections without the need for welding. Shop today.

Comment

Black pipe and fittings would work don't know how expensive it would be. I would think it would be cheaper than galv.

Comment

I like the pipe idea a lot, just trying to manage cost. If anyone knows a good inexpensive source of pipe and fittings let me know. I ran the numbers on a parts list of galvanized and ended up north of $200.

Comment

You could easily do the same style, that Antlers86 posted, with the 2x2s, in round clothes rods.
                  Just use a hole saw and drill press to cope some short pieces for standoffs, and use long pieces for hand rails.

Or use the 2x2s and a 3/4" round over bit in a router and you'll have a pretty much round hand rail.

There are a number of ways to do it out of wood, on the cheap.

Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Thainixs View Post
                    I like the pipe idea a lot, just trying to manage cost. If anyone knows a good inexpensive source of pipe and fittings let me know. I ran the numbers on a parts list of galvanized and ended up north of $200.
                    Hospital costs would be greater than that.

Comment

just another option.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Update

Here is what I ended up doing. Just couldn't justify $200 in fittings for the pipe idea. I built the rails with 2"x3" hand rails (chamfered edges) and 2"X2" slats spaced about 12" apart. It is rock solid as I have hung all 220lbs of myself on it and it doesn't budge. Only about $20 worth of materials in the rails, but an afternoon of my labor.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That'll work. Nice job.

Comment

You need to add a fireman pole to slide down. that looks nice

Comment

Working...
                            X