Public land for axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land for axis?

Anybody have a suggestions on where to go for a shot at an axis on public land?

I think Kerr has some free ranging Axis. Anyone have other information on free range exotics on public land?

sooner00

Comment

I think only way would be to get drawn on a TWP hunt but I believe deadline for them is passed. I'm not aware of any public land with exotics that you could just walk onto and hunt.

Comment

amistad?

Comment

none that i know of besides draw hunts

Comment

ive never known of any public hunting grounds in kerr at all and ive lives here for fifteen years,but ive been known to be wrong

Comment

Enchanted Rock State Park near Fredricksberg and LLano. I personally saw MANY big deer and AXIS bucks on the public land and the park has public permit hunting (NOT a draw from the way I read it) during the week days. Go to the TPW website and look under public hunting areas for dates. I just saw it today. They had a 2008-2009 season hunt dates listed. I believe they start this month.

Comment

Enchanted Rock is by drawing only, the hunt is the middle of January.

Comment

I have axis on private land, how big do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by ttujason02 View Post
                    Enchanted Rock is by drawing only, the hunt is the middle of January.
                    Bummer I saw this: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...k0700_0597.pdf and it didn't mention a draw. There is some very nice Axis and Whitetail running around there and the scenery is spectacular. A MUST go for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye View Post
                      Anybody have a suggestions on where to go for a shot at an axis on public land?

Not AXIS, but I've heard 2 recent stories of ELK running around the south end of Twin Buttes. I ran into a guy scouting around the other day that swears he saw a bull Elk and cow swimming across the river way back towrds the very back section of the property.

The other story was about a bow hunter last season that shot a bull Elk under a feeder while he was deer hunting.

Best I figured was they escaped off one of the local exotic ranches near by. I've seen some bulls along the high fences near that area.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
                        Bummer I saw this: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...k0700_0597.pdf and it didn't mention a draw. There is some very nice Axis and Whitetail running around there and the scenery is spectacular. A MUST go for anyone.

Don't do that , I thought I was going to have a chance at an exotic for free.

Comment

Originally posted by ttujason02 View Post
                          Don't do that , I thought I was going to have a chance at an exotic for free.
                          Plenty of them to go 'round maw man. Follow the trail that goes to the "primitive" camping out East past the "Eagles Nest" I believe the area is called. We saw tons of wildlife along the creek banks during the day coming to water, also some helpful advice if you plan to camp (if they allow it) or if you get an animal down out there......when you get pretty close to the camp ground , you'll cross an obvious access road for the rangers to do maintenance and pick up the garbage from the camp ground that is very close to the hwy going into the park. Haul your kill and equipment up to the gate and that way only one unlucky sob has to hoof it back the 2.5 miles to the main parking lot up by the headquarters

Good luck to any that get to hunt it this year. That place is really nice

Comment

Working...
                          X