No announcement yet.

2004 Ford with 5.4 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a 2000 model with about a quarter million miles on it, and still running hard when I let it go. Only had one engine issue. The intake manifold/coolant seal went bad. Got a replacement for less than $100 and changed the plugs then too. They are super easy to get to with the intake manifold out of the way.

Comment

I run a 2006 f150 4x4 5.4 with 265K. I changed the plugs and coil packs myself. Easy job even when breaking three of them off. Just have the Lisle tool. Only took a couple hours. I changed out the dash cluster and the alternator. I keep up with oil changes, all filters and belts. Change all fluids on time. Do the shocks and struts myself. It is a really easy truck to work on. I am far from a mechanic and get most of it on YouTube. Still running good, no problems within 4wheel drive and plan to drive the wheels off of it before I buy something else. It really depends on how it was treated by the previous owner.

I wish I could find another low mileage 06-08 for cheap that was clean. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

I just sold a 2006 5.4 with 150,000 on it. I owned it for 8 years. I replaced the spark plugs myself and none broke luckily. I also replaced all the coils with a complete set from amazon for $40. 1 alternator and 1 battery. It was a good truck and I sold it to my dad and he’s still driving it.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
          I run a 2006 f150 4x4 5.4 with 265K. I changed the plugs and coil packs myself. Easy job even when breaking three of them off. Just have the Lisle tool. Only took a couple hours. I changed out the dash cluster and the alternator. I keep up with oil changes, all filters and belts. Change all fluids on time. Do the shocks and struts myself. It is a really easy truck to work on. I am far from a mechanic and get most of it on YouTube. Still running good, no problems within 4wheel drive and plan to drive the wheels off of it before I buy something else. It really depends on how it was treated by the previous owner.

I wish I could find another low mileage 06-08 for cheap that was clean. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I bought an 07 king ranch in 08 when everyone was trying to get rid of them
          I ran that truck hard and it was still going strong when I traded it in 2013, had 180,000 miles on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. Whatever I buy while be a to the lease and back until my son turns 16 in about 18 months. I just want to make sure what I get will be dependable for him.

Comment

What’s a cam phaser and how much is that ? My 04 5.4 runs good but sounds like a typewriter kinda

Comment

We had these in our F250 truck fleet in the oilfield service industry. Being that I was over the trucks I can recall issues with the coil power packs for the plugs. I do not recall any issues with the timing chains but would follow up on that. Overall they were great trucks, very little trouble. They were used and abused and we traded at 250k
                Good luck on your decision

Comment

I think I had four of them with the 5.4 all half ton 4 wheel drives. Put over 200,000 on them and no issues other than mechanics complained about difficulty in changing one of the plugs.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

I drove a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 to 168k miles before trading it in. Was a great motor for me, it never acted up so I never attempted the plug change everyone talks about. Back then, there were multiple shops that told me they wouldn't do the plugs for me, they were that scared of them. One shop said they would do it but quoted me $2k mostly labor because "you can bank on them breaking off and I'm gonna have to pull the head to get all the pieces out". I would say if you like the truck go for it, would be nice to know if the plugs have already been changed or not. I loved that truck till the day I traded it in.

Comment

We have a family truck that driven by my dad every day. 01 with the 5.4 that’s about to roll 300k and it’s never in the shop. The only downfall to the most are the 2 piece plug and coil packs. Both of which can be changed yourself.

Comment

Change out the spark plugs and you will be fine. I've owned two of them and both had plug issues. I will tell you when your plug blows out it makes for a very loud drive home!

Comment

If the spark plugs are truly that problematic I would try to find someone to replace them reasonably before you buy the truck if you can't do it yourself. Last thing you want is to buy a truck and immediately be hit with an expensive bill from a shop.

Comment

Stay away from those trucks... trust me 2 blown transmissions, spark plug troubles, and timing chain problems sold it with only 136,000 miles

Comment

Had a 2002 5.4 fx4 and worst part was 10mpg. At 60k had a coil pack go out traded it in.

Later bought a 2009 fx4 with 5.4 gets 18.5 mpg and has been great. has 250k miles on it and never had any issues with it. Still have it as an extra vehicle.

Comment

Had a 2004 5.4 in a 3/4 ton ford that i drove for 225K miles and never had an issue. I don't remember if mine was the 2 or 3 valve but whichever one it was the spark plugs were easy peasy to change out.

I always called the motor the "gutless wonder" -- next to 0 power or get up and go but it always started and never broke down on me

Comment

Working...
                                X