Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good pistol recommendation for an older lady?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good pistol recommendation for an older lady?

65 yrs old, weak hands. Is there a semi automatic that has an action that is easy to pull back? Or is a revolver where it's at. Make and model recommendations appreciated.

Thx.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My 74 year old mother in law bought a Ruger LCR and loves it she wasn’t able to work the slide on her Glock anymore she loves it

Comment

I just shot a Ruger Security 9 yesterday. Very user friendly and it would shoot.

Comment

I would take her to see several revolvers and handle them. Nothing larger than a .38 Special. If she can manage the trigger double action, and it’s a reliable brand, buy it. Revolvers are better for non-gun folks IMO.

Comment

Revolver for a non gun person. With semi auto there is the risk of limp wristing which causes then to not cycle.

Comment

Smith & wesson makes a shield in 380 that is supposed to be easy to rack the slide

Comment

Berretta cougar...load mag, pop breach, load round snap shut...ready to go

Comment

Shield 380 EZ. If she it having trouble cocking an auto an LCR in 38 will probably have too much recoil, might try one in 22 mag though. Another option would be a light weight AR rifle

Comment

smith 442 or 642...easy to grip & highly recommend a DA revolver. Old hands will work fine when juice is flowing & needed. I don't like autos for a person who isn't going to practice & get familiar. She needs an emergency belly gun that doesn't need a ton of muscle memory.

Comment

Revolver is the way to go, a lot less can go wrong with someone who is weak and unfamiliar with firearms--- is this going to be a bedside gun or EDC?

If price isn't necessarily an issue I think the SW 640 pro is the hands down best revolver for EDC and beside-- it is a steel gun, little heavy but it is a pro shop model with night sights, cut for moon clips and will shoot .38 or .357.

The weight SIGNIFICANTLY reduces recoil-- my wife carries one and shoots 90gr Hornadys with ease and crushed her qualification.

If you are around $400 or so then I think the airweight 642 or 442 is right on the money. But the lightweight frame does increase recoil and they aren't cut for moon clips unless you get the modified 442.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                      Revolver is the way to go, a lot less can go wrong with someone who is weak and unfamiliar with firearms--- is this going to be a bedside gun or EDC?

If price isn't necessarily an issue I think the SW 640 pro is the hands down best revolver for EDC and beside-- it is a steel gun, little heavy but it is a pro shop model with night sights, cut for moon clips and will shoot .38 or .357.

The weight SIGNIFICANTLY reduces recoil-- my wife carries one and shoots 90gr Hornadys with ease and crushed her qualification.

If you are around $400 or so then I think the airweight 642 or 442 is right on the money. But the lightweight frame does increase recoil and they aren't cut for moon clips unless you get the modified 442.

I second that recommendation, those 90hr Hornadys are a pleasure to shoot even out of a short barrel or light gun. If that’s still too much they sw also makes a SA/DA .22 mag ultralight that I’ve been eyeing.

Comment

I tend to agree, a revolver may be the way to go. If you want a semi auto look up “brass stacker”. U shaped piece that fits on the back of the slide. You can hook your fingers in it and a lot easier to cycle the slide.

Comment

A lightweight revolver isn’t going to be fun or easy for her to shoot.

I do recommend a revolver over a semi auto but I wouldn’t go with a light weight one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The sig 238 is pretty easy to operate. My moms arthritis and small hands made racking most semi autos tough, but she hated the smaller revolvers. Recoil wasn’t a big issue, she can shoot just about anything, she just had a tough time with slide operation and reaching the controls. Her being able to load, manipulate controls, and accurately fire were main concerns when she told me she wanted a handgun. After trying almost everything, she ended up with a 238 and a mag lula. She will shoot all day, and load her own mags.

The S&W EZ would be worth looking at as well. They weren’t around when we were shopping for her, and I have no experience with them. They look good on paper though.

Things we noticed on the small revolvers. They are small, but not necessarily made for small hands. DA trigger is heavy, and not all of them have hammers. Recoil is pretty stout, especially on the “air weights”. Sights leave a lot to be desired. Most of these concerns wouldn’t be an issue in a self defense situation, but they make a range day miserable.

Comment

Most of the .380 auto's are the easiest to rack the slide. The power of the cartridge relates to the recoil spring force. Some full size 9 mm. handguns are pretty easy because slide weight takes some of the necessary load off the recoil spring. Other than that, a revolver is the safe bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X