Well Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Crap

[/QUOTE] Many of those migrants work in the agriculture industry. Gene Hall with the Texas Farm Bureau says farmers and ranchers don't have the means or resources to check all their workers. The fear is that, without a qualified workforce, crops will die on the vine. He says it's a job Americans won’t do. [QUOTE/]

I’ve been gradually switching some of my insurance to Texas Farm Bureau. They just lost my business. Why would they support law breakers?

What does he or TFB have to do with any of this? What article was this from?

Comment

Many of those migrants work in the agriculture industry. Gene Hall with the Texas Farm Bureau says farmers and ranchers don't have the means or resources to check all their workers. The fear is that, without a qualified workforce, crops will die on the vine. He says it's a job Americans won’t do. [quote/]
      I’ve been gradually switching some of my insurance to Texas Farm Bureau. They just lost my business. Why would they support law breakers?[/quote]

What are they paying the migrants?

Comment

There have been migrant farm hands from Mexico for all of my life (quite a spell). They would follow the farming/harvest from Rio Grande up thru east Texas, Ark.,Missouri, Iowa, Ill., Ind.., Ohio, and into Canada. When the harvest was over up north, they would come back thru to Mexico and start over for the next year. There used to be migrant labor camps in different places they would stay while they were working in a particular region.
        Usually saw them during watermelon season because I was out there loading **** chunks, doing the same thing they were doing along with some of my school friends. The only difference to me was we were making spending money to put gas in the old pickup to go out on the weekend, and save up to buy school clothes. They were trying to feed a family.

Comment

Saw a gaggle of them loading melons today...heat index well over 100.

Couldn't pay me to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            Saw a gaggle of them loading melons today...heat index well over 100.

Couldn't pay me to do the job.
            Yup

Comment

I couldn't do it today either. Back then no one knew what heat index was. Wear a big brim hat and drink LOTS of water. Of course there wasn't any air conditioning to spoil us either. Had an attic fan and raise the window.

Just got to reading this and thought to myself. I'm starting to sound a lot like my dad and grandpa used to sound.

Maybe that farm bureau guy is right. "The migrants are doing jobs we won't do".

Comment

You can pay me enough to farm and ranch work. I do it now for free so getting paid would be icing on the cake.

Comment

If all we were dealing with migrant workers, we could have an immigration policy to accommodate that, but what we have now is hundreds of thousands of immigrants that are almost all OTM's rushing our border with no intent on working in the fields... They are intent on our gubment (ultimately me n you) providing them with shelter, food, free school for their kids, free medical care and the list goes on and on... THAT's what I have a real problem with.

And I think Trump was wise to force Mexico to address it if for no other reason than Mexico's own people and their well-being...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    If all we were dealing with migrant workers, we could have an immigration policy to accommodate that, but what we have now is hundreds of thousands of immigrants that are almost all OTM's rushing our border with no intent on working in the fields... They are intent on our gubment (ultimately me n you) providing them with shelter, food, free school for their kids, free medical care and the list goes on and on... THAT's what I have a real problem with.

And I think Trump was wise to force Mexico to address it if for no other reason than Mexico's own people and their well-being...
                    This here. Those overweight phone carrying criminals aren't about to get out in the field to work. The ONLY work they will do is work our welfare system.

Comment

I heard this on the radio this morning and it irritated me. My neighbor has one of the largest farms in the county and he makes sure his workers are legal. 2 are from Mexico and 2 are white boys from Texas. He provides a house, truck, fuel, and living wages.

On the other side of life, my b-i-l worked on a horse farm making an ok living, able to pay the bills. No house, no truck, no fuel benefits. He did everything from cleaning stalls to the exercise program to major repairs. One day he walked in and the owner told him they were going to let him go because they could pay 2 "migrants" for what they paid him. They hired one and cut their payroll in half. Later he found out what he suspected - the replacement was an illegal.

I've see processing plants do the same thing - hire illegals knowing full well they had falsified credentials but that way they kept the wages suppressed.

Most farm laborers are here on work visas anyway!

The feds should make e-verify mandatory and free. There's plenty of people willing to do the work for honest wages.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        You can pay me enough to farm and ranch work. I do it now for free so getting paid would be icing on the cake.
                        I would pay to watch you load melons all day for min wage from the cab of your AC truck while drinking your beer...

Comment

I think Americans would do it. But we have used migrants for so long that all the channels and avenues to find these Americans have long been broken and need to be reestablished. It will take some time. My 2cents

Comment

there are legal ways, and willing people to do the work, from farm work to landscaping, construction...

They just dont want to pay for the legal way

Comment

Cost of labor will drive innovation, when's the last time you saw someone cutting hay by hand? Probably never for most of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X