No announcement yet.

WHAT do you call mature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write up. Definitely a great refresher right before season.

Comment

Agree with everything you wrote FC. I personally started seeing less tooth wear across the board last year on the bucks we took. It was our 7th year feeding protein. Im on a low fence place with pretty decent neighbors so I have changed our target age for trophy bucks to 7.5 with some 6.5 if they live near a fence line. Like I said, they are pretty good neighbors but they shoot trophies at 5.5. Im hoping this is the turn of the corner for me. Up till now the only real difference I have seen in 7 years of feeding protein has been a significant increase in body weight and a significant increase in droptines. Im hoping now that the bucks' teeth are lasting longer and enabling them to get old, the protein will start showing a significant increase in antler size as well. I will post up some pics as well when I get a chance.

Comment

Great write up.
        I saw an ancient buck years back. Was ratteling for the wife and he came out behind her about 100 yards up a hill in a tiny opening. She could not see him. He looked like he had been through a tornado. Fur going in every direction.

Comment

Great write up!

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics. Great examples

Comment

We try and hunt 4.5 yr old and older. Trying to get the age class of bucks up, so know we are letting some walk

Comment

Thanks for the great read and pics with explanations to go with them. Good refresher before season starts

Comment

Nice deer

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                    [attach]547100[attach]547102
                    what would you guess the age of this deer to be?
                    12 :d

Comment

Great write up. Super pics and lots of wisdom. The only thing that I have not seen on our place or on our corp lease is better racks once they go past 7. We have had many go WAY down at 7 and 8 with some having their best set at 7. Our tooth wear still looks similar to the boards and cementum tests are in line with our judging. Could be the sand and gravel or we just don't protein feed as heavy as heavy as others. Lots of fun learning about other's experiences and results. Thanks for taking the time and posting.

Comment

Great read and examples! Glad to have so many guys on here with proven track records to share their wisdom.

Comment

Very good info!

Comment

I aint got a dam deer one thats over 5.... they get shot by neighbors! The 90% of weekend warrior deer hunters age deer by antlers... if its over 13 inches shoot it!
                            Last edited by ducks-and-bucks; 09-15-2013, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Nicely done. Great observations.

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
                                I aint got a dam deer one thats over 5.... they get shot by neighbors! The 90% of weekend warrior deer hunters age deer by antlers... if its over 13 inches shoot it!
                                Our place too. Except we don't have any over 3-ish

You ought to hear all the shots opening morning, and all the 1 and 2 yr old deer on my camera.

More than once I've passed on a deer, watched it cross the fence... BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X