X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff here!

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
      Decided to run an experiment with higher density feeders in half my place and the same as I have been using in the other half. Not sure it is scientific but will give me a good idea if further feeder density would make a difference. Going to keep track of total tonnage through each and see if the per acre consumption varies.
      After reading through this thread a couple of times I thought I would try something new as well. I'm putting troughs in my high density/big buck pens and hand feeding them once a week with approx 100lbs (peanuts/corn/protein mix). Hopefully help reduce some bullying, but also gentle up some since we have bow setups on most of these. The first couple of weeks consumption in the troughs has been minimal. I would assume its the newness of the troughs and deer just getting used to them. I added peanuts last week and BAM. Drained the troughs over night. Not sure how cost effective this will be or exactly what I'll get out of doing this but It's the kind of stuff that deer managers like myself enjoy doing and monitoring. Next step is cameras on the troughs.

Comment

I put out some small troughs and experienced the same results. They were slow to hit them for the first couple of weeks. I added alfalfa and some molases coated protein and bam.... Now they clean out the trough first and then hit the bulk feeder.

I can add as little or as much extras as needed.

Comment

Good stuff FCT. I am curious, do you guys have a aggressive coon eradication program ? With troughs seems like they would be all over that.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            Good stuff FCT. I am curious, do you guys have a aggressive coon eradication program ? With troughs seems like they would be all over that.
            Yes. They love the troughs.

I'd like to think we do. But still have tons of coons. We can knock them back a little at a time but they never seem to go away completely.

Comment

Thanks for response. Seems like the coons come and go with the rainfall. I just ordered some Duke traps so I plan to work them over. Hopefully I will put a dent in the population. I figure if a coon eats a 1/2# protein per day and say 5 coons visits each feeder daily = 3# x 11 feeders = 33# perday =990# per month. I'm sure my numbers are a little high but it still adds up to alot of wasted money going to those pesky varmints.

Comment

Careful what you wish for... i had a friend who aggressively went after coons... trapped something like 200 off of 300 acres... insane... his protein consumption went UP... because before... every time a deer or blackbuck wanted to eat... there was an angry coon in the trough or on the tray... and with the coon gone... they could eat as much as they wanted... haha

Comment

Now thats funny there. I can believe that though, those coons can be aggressive over those feeders. I have had them try to come at me when I would walk up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
                    After reading through this thread a couple of times I thought I would try something new as well. I'm putting troughs in my high density/big buck pens and hand feeding them once a week with approx 100lbs (peanuts/corn/protein mix). Hopefully help reduce some bullying, but also gentle up some since we have bow setups on most of these. The first couple of weeks consumption in the troughs has been minimal. I would assume its the newness of the troughs and deer just getting used to them. I added peanuts last week and BAM. Drained the troughs over night. Not sure how cost effective this will be or exactly what I'll get out of doing this but It's the kind of stuff that deer managers like myself enjoy doing and monitoring. Next step is cameras on the troughs.
                    Good luck. I have got my experiment set up. They have been out about a month. Headed down next weekend for first check. 50% more feeders on one side than the other.

Comment

What are yalls thoughts on providing supplemental minerals in addition to a good quality protein. I was told that the protein provides the amount of minerals that they need, but that is also coming from the people trying to sell it.

This is on a low fence property~ 250 acres. About 40 deer feed on the property. I have 2 protein feeders running Feb-sept.

Good water on the property as well.

Comment

I ordered a bunch of Duke traps this week. I have got to get the coons under control. They are dominating a few of my feeders and it is pissing me off.

Comment

To yall that are shooting doe fawns, can you give me some examples of where/why not to implement this strategy. Im thinking this is what Im going to do going forward. My deer numbers are where I want them and I have pretty close to a 1 to 1 buck doe ratio. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                            What are yalls thoughts on providing supplemental minerals in addition to a good quality protein. I was told that the protein provides the amount of minerals that they need, but that is also coming from the people trying to sell it.

This is on a low fence property~ 250 acres. About 40 deer feed on the property. I have 2 protein feeders running Feb-sept.

Good water on the property as well.
                            i think it would be smart to have a few mineral sites away from the protein feeders since certain deer seem to control feeders, u may have some deer hitting the minerals that arent able to get to the feeders.

with the price of pellets around dallas i am almost down to just spinning the corn/protein mix pretty heavy from a spinner and getting 2-3 mineral sites going around the place.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              i think it would be smart to have a few mineral sites away from the protein feeders since certain deer seem to control feeders, u may have some deer hitting the minerals that arent able to get to the feeders.

with the price of pellets around dallas i am almost down to just spinning the corn/protein mix pretty heavy from a spinner and getting 2-3 mineral sites going around the place.
                              Red chain in gorman is 9.95/50 if you ever get out this way. 17%

Comment

thanks, thats cheaper than i pay for corn around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X