No announcement yet.

Canon 40D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casey is right, some of the newer IS versions can be used with a tripod, but for the most part just turn it off. I rarely use a tripod, even when I should I just find stuff to set my camera on for a more stable position. For that reason, I love IS lenses and probably won't buy anything telephoto without it.

For 2500, here would be my recommendation:

40D with 17-85mm IS Kit - 1399
    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS - $540
    Nifty Fifty (Canon F1.8 50mm) - $60 used online
    2 x 4 GB CF Card - $50 (look for deals on Sandisk Ultras and other top name)
    Extra Battery - $15
    Bag of some type - $50

Total: ~$2100

Save your other $400 and use your equipment for a few months (or longer) and then pick from the following until you hit 2500 total

Tripod
    Monopod
    Bushhawk
    Ultra Wide Angle (Sigma 10-20)
    Photoshop
    Macro Lens (Sigma 105mm F2.8 or Canon 100mm F2.8)

Comment

Now if you just want to see if you like the camera thing, buy a 20D with 18-55 kit lens along with a used 70-300 IS, 2x2GB flash cards, extra battery, used bag and it will be less than $1000 and you will probably get just a good of pics for the first year as you get to learn your equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        IS is supposed to be off for tripod use. I think some of the newer stuff is capable of shutting itself off after detecting no camera shake, but I'm not certain. IS does nothing for a moving subject.
        As I said the instructions are to turn IS off when tripod mounted.
        On this new high blood pressure med I need IS x 4 for hand held shots. WHEW!

Comment

Working...
        X