The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AxisAddict View Post
    Unfortunately, I have experience with this. The flip flops WILL blow out in a stream crossing. They make great camp shoes for a thru-hiker, but the thong pulls out in a light breeze. The Crocs are EXTREMELY slippery in the water. I'm not talking about the bottom of the shoe slipping about on rocks, I mean your feet slips inside the shoe. Decent recipe for an ankle injury. If you're gunna rock the crocs...undersize a bit to make sure your foot stays in place.
    Nice and snug with the strap

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      Consider Palatypus collapsible water bags for water storage and a Smart Water bottle for drinking. your water (the tops on Smart Water bottles are nice). You would shave a few ounces here as well.
      Second on the Smart Water bottles. I love my Nalgene(s), but I now refer to it as the outdoorsman's timeline. It's a great place to put your hard-earned stickers from trips and take to work, but they are very heavy and (oddly enough) won't survive a drop onto rocks as well as a Smart Water bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        I’d definitely be using the flip flops for elk or something else in the lower 48. I wasn’t wanting to the extra weight but figured it was a good idea
        Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by AxisAddict View Post
          Second on the Smart Water bottles. I love my Nalgene(s), but I now refer to it as the outdoorsman's timeline. It's a great place to put your hard-earned stickers from trips and take to work, but they are very heavy and (oddly enough) won't survive a drop onto rocks as well as a Smart Water bottle.
          It’s funny... on AT many people spend crazy money on light weight gear but at the end of the day everybody drinks out of smart water bottles . The nice thing on a long hike like that is once it starts to look cruddy you just throw it away and buy a new one. Sawyers fit on Smart bottles as well.

Comment

JT what area of new zealand? I have a friend who's full time in Australia last 7 years or so and his wife is a kiwi. He hunts new Zealand a few times a year and knows a couple areas really well. Has alot of success

Comment

It’s funny... on AT many people spend crazy money on light weight gear but at the end of the day everybody drinks out of smart water bottles . The nice thing on a long hike like that is once it starts to look cruddy you just throw it away and buy a new one. Sawyers fit on Smart bottles as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                The reason for crocs is to double for camp and stream crossing. I thought about it and wouldn’t want to blow out a flip flop in moving water and just have boots left.
                This is solid logic.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                  JT what area of new zealand? I have a friend who's full time in Australia last 7 years or so and his wife is a kiwi. He hunts new Zealand a few times a year and knows a couple areas really well. Has alot of success
                  My brother moved there (Auckland) two years ago. I may need to pick your friend's brain soon!
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post

Honestly I have no clue. I know it’s the South Island and I will fly into Christchurch. I won’t know much for details until November or so when todd gets off of the mountain in BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been needing some stiffer boots for NZ and found a really good deal on these. They are ugly as hell but supposed to be a really good boot.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                        I’ve been needing some stiffer boots for NZ and found a really good deal on these. They are ugly as hell but supposed to be a really good boot.

Call No Limits Archery in Denver they stock them 303-270-0185
                        Think they have Blk ones also

I run hanwag just not those, I run chillkat and Yukon. Had great luck with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          Call No Limits Archery in Denver they stock them 303-270-0185
                          Think they have Blk ones also

I run hanwag just not those, I run chillkat and Yukon. Had great luck with them.

I got these online from a site that a lot of guys on Rokslide have used. I got them for $197 shipped. So I’ll take ugly for $100 off

Comment

Nalgene makes the HDPE ones that are almost indestructible. Also cheaper then the other ones.

96oz flexible canteens are great for camp.

Comment

I have a nice lightweight 1 person tent in the classifieds if anyone is needing one. It can be used with trekking poles or has it's own pole set.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                                I got these online from a site that a lot of guys on Rokslide have used. I got them for $197 shipped. So I’ll take ugly for $100 off

I don’t blame you, that’s hell of a deal.

I’m curious to see how narrow the last is. I love hanwag because in wide boots they don’t increase the heel pocket, just the forefoot. Yukon’s have been resoled once already.

Comment

Working...
                                X