Recommend Guide For Salt Water Trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
    Glenn Ging - Matagorda. Great with kids.
    He goes by Coastal Ducks on here.
    Another vote for Glen!

Comment

Doug Stanford, Pirates of the bay charters. He fishes Rockport, Port A, Arkansas Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        Ben Boudreaux - (713) 303-1095

Tell him Estes sent you.
        I've known Ben since I was in 5th grade, still weird seeing Capt in front if his name after all these years. This guy is right. Ben will make sure you and your son have a great time making memories together and fillin the box.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Trey Prye. I've fished with him in East Matty before and he did great with the kid we had with us.

He mentioned he fishes with Texas Boys Outdoors which is ran by a TBH'r.

Really? Who is it? I follow them a bit

Comment

My cousin Jake Rangnow fishes out of Galveston bay complex. *(361) 243-2490‬. Tell him Matt sent you. He will grind hard to put y’all on the fish. These are just a few trips over the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just a thought. I would be targeting a guide that has a reputation of being great with kids more than someone who will fill the box. Every guide has rough days but hiring a guide that is great around your 12 year old will ensure that he/she has a great time. And just to be clear, there are plenty of great guides who are great with kids and know how to put you on fish. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                Just a thought. I would be targeting a guide that has a reputation of being great with kids more than someone who will fill the box. Every guide has rough days but hiring a guide that is great around your 12 year old will ensure that he/she has a great time. And just to be clear, there are plenty of great guides who are great with kids and know how to put you on fish. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

Bingo!!

I can refer the OP to a few guides that are hard to beat when it comes to catching fish. However they are big time butt holes and will/can ruin your day quick. Seen it first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                  Dang. Coming from a successful longtime part time guide it sounds like your looking for that gem guide. We all have bad days and sometimes it was better yesterday and sometimes it ends up being a boat ride. Any guide that tells you they don’t have bad days is a liar. Fishing can be unpredictable like hunting can be. Hiring a guide doesn’t guarantee you a loaded box. It guarantees you a day on the water being serviced to the full extent. You can do a search on here for my trips and you will see I put a lot of fish in the boat but what you wont see is the days its sucked. No full time guide is gonna be happy to tell you that either cause he has to pay his bills.

Just my 2 cents.

. This is the honest truth. I like to see someone else fells the way I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                    Dang. Any guide that tells you they don’t have bad days is a liar. Fishing can be unpredictable like hunting can be. Hiring a guide doesn’t guarantee you a loaded box. It guarantees you a day on the water being serviced to the full extent.

Really good point

Comment

Michael Rolf out of Matagorda.

Matagorda fishing guides, Matagorda Bay, Matagorda fishing guides, michael's guide service, Texas saltwater fishing guides, Texas fishing guides, Matagorda fishing guides, Matagorda fishing charters, Matagorda Bay fishing, fishing trips, fishing matagorda, Matagorda fishing, surf fishing, wade fishing, Texas fishing, guides, drift fishing, fishing guides, matagorda beach, matagorda surf, matagorda county, saltwater fishing, fishing lures, fishing tackle, redfish, trout, red snapper, mullet, shrimp, live bait, colorado river, matagorda jetties, offshore fishing, bay fishing

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        Glenn Ging - Matagorda. Great with kids.
                        He goes by Coastal Ducks on here.
                        X2 another vote for Glenn. Great guy.

Comment

The difference is on those bad days, does the guide pull out every trick they know or do they give up and give you a boat ride only. I'm much more familiar with freshwater fishing and guides, most are out to fill the boat with sand bass and call it a day. There are some that simply know fishing and will do everything in their power to put you on fish, sometimes it just doesn't work out, but you have a good time. Been there, done that.

Just recently took a trip to the bay with three guide boats, all very experienced fishermen ready to load the boats and the end results was "fishing was good yesterday". One guide hit all of the community spots in the middle of numerous other boats, basically following the pack, very few fish came up on any boat, but the guide decided to stay even after everyone else left, proceeded to repeat this from 5-11am and then gave up. A full day was paid for at the encouragement of this guide, a half day of being a boat taxi with 3 fish was provided. Another guide was a weekend wanna-be who had his 3 spots and nothing else. When the fish weren't biting in those spots, he had no alternatives. The third guide put them on a few fish, but worked hard to find more and even switched up species, baits and other tactics. So two boat rides and a decent trip. Paid over $2k for three boats on a full day trip, including something like 20 dozen croakers for a poor experience and a total of 20 fish. The response was "sometimes that's the way fishing goes".

So asking for a good guide is not a crazy request, doesn't necessarily mean you are going to catch boat loads of fish, but it should mean that every effort is going to be made to have a chance. I know who not to fish with in Galveston now.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                            I agree completely here. I've been guiding part time for a few years now and have had pretty good feedback from customers and quite a few return clients. My favorite trips are father/son mother/daughter trips. This is my opinion but I'd venture to bet that no matter who(guide) I fished with when I was 12 years old all that mattered is that I had a great day with my dad, saw cool new stuff, and was able to fish my backside off trying to catch whatever I could. I've run a few father/son trips where the kid learned from dad that a full box is what made the day successful, Bad lesson that can lead to great disappointments in the future. I do feel that when someone pays good money the guide (I) should make EVERY attempt to put clients on fish. If that includes extra bait/different species/longer days, that's exactly what I do. Unfortunately, some days no matter what things don't work out. My suggestions in Corpus Christi area are:
                            Alex Murphy
                            Paul Braly
                            Geronimo Leal
                            Grant Coppin
                            And there are more I'm sure I am leaving out that are great with kids and consistently on fish.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. First I know the difference in a yesterday guy and a guy that works hard. I was a fresh water guide for a few years and I know the difference in a guy that knows his stuff. I have never fished the salt and would just like a chance to take my son out and enjoy a day on the water. I have always heard you fish the salt you don't go back well they better bring their A game b/c Falcon and Fayetteville are hard to beat LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                                Thanks for all the replies. First I know the difference in a yesterday guy and a guy that works hard. I was a fresh water guide for a few years and I know the difference in a guy that knows his stuff. I have never fished the salt and would just like a chance to take my son out and enjoy a day on the water. I have always heard you fish the salt you don't go back well they better bring their A game b/c Falcon and Fayetteville are hard to beat LOL!
                                I love falcon.
                                Add Daniel Land or Adam doelle to the list of guys to fish with here in CC. They are very consistent fishermen.

Comment

Working...
                                X