Questions about Public hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Public hunts

I have not been able to secure a place to hunt in the last 3 or so years. People would say that I could go hunt with them and then back out at the last minute. So anyway, I am looking for other opportunities and as I don't have much money to invest in lease and all that stuff I am hoping to get some Public Land Hunting in. My questions are:

1. What is involved in public hunts?
    2. Where do I find public land that I can hunt on?
    3. TPWD draws? When can you sign up and what are the odds of getting picked?

Any info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Drew

Go buy your public land permit from Academy/Wal-Mart, anywhere that sells hunting licenses then use the public land booklet to figure out where to hunt. Here's the link to the public lands book. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...7000_0112a.pdf
    Theres only about a week of deer hunting left for most public land units so you may want to wait till next year.
    Also, here's a link to the public draw hunt info.

Good luck!

Comment

Read everything on TP&W about public hunting especially the rules and regs.

You need an Annual Permit for $48. Deer season is about done, but you can hunt pigs year round on most sites.

Plan for next season. Spend a lot of time scouting and have multiple areas picked out. Whoever is there first gets the spot to hunt.

There is a lot of good info on TBH. Better than any other site I have found regarding public hunting.

Also, for the drawn hunts the book comes out late June. Some people apply for years and not get drawn, others get drawn the first time. I put in for as many as I can.

Comment

Put in for as many draw hunts as you can. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of APH lands available for deer hunting near San Antonio. But if you're willing to drive a little, you can find decent public hunting within 3 hours drive.

Comment

Thanks for the links and the info. I have a lot of learning to do. I plan on putting in for some draws next season. My dad is in Bell county and has never hunter before but says he would like to go, so Belton area is going to be on my map also.

Comment

Working...
          X