Weatherby Mark V Action vs Weatherby Vanguard action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherby Mark V Action vs Weatherby Vanguard action

Is there any difference between a Weatherby mV Action and a Weatherby vanguard action? Wanting to build a rifle on a Weatherby action.

A world of difference. Mark V is far superior to the Vanguard.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      Do you know what the differences are? Not questioning you, I am legitimately curious. Materials? Tolerances?

Comment

A lot of difference, if you want to build on a Vangaurd action just get a Howa 1500 action and build on it. Same actions

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          Do you know what the differences are? Not questioning you, I am legitimately curious. Materials? Tolerances?
          Vanguard is a Howa 1500. Mark V is true Roy Weatherby. 54 degree bolt throw, serious lugs etc.

Comment

Mark V is a 9 lug action built to withstand the pressures of Weatherby Magnum cartridges.
            Vanguard is a 6 lug action that work within the confines of regular non Weatherby rounds.

Mark V is a true Weatherby while a Vangaurd is a regular rifle in Weatherby clothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
              Mark V is a 9 lug action built to withstand the pressures of Weatherby Magnum cartridges.
              Vanguard is a 6 lug action that work within the confines of regular non Weatherby rounds.

Mark V is a true Weatherby while a Vangaurd is a regular rifle in Weatherby clothing!
              Thanks for the info!

Comment

The Mark V action is what Roy Weatherby designed for his cartridges. As mentioned, it is a very sturdy 9-lug lockup with a recessed bolt face that encases the cartridge base inside 3 layers of steel. It has vents that direct any gas blowback that may occur away from the shooter's face. The bolt throw is only 45 degrees, as opposed to a full 90 degrees on a mauser action (most other rifles, including the Vanguard). Lots of differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post

Mark V in magnum has 9 lugs. Standard action has 6 lugs. Vanguard has 2 lugs.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    Mark V in magnum has 9 lugs. Standard action has 6 lugs. Vanguard has 2 lugs.

Yup the current Vangaurd actions have 2 lugs or at least my 257 Weatherby Vanguard does

Comment

Pm your cell phone or email and I will send you pictures of the difference. I have both. The Mark V is like a vault door when you open and close it. If you get loads that will cause that action to not open you have made some really really hot loads.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        There are people who would argue with that. The Vangard action is generally considered superior for accuracy. The issue seems to be that, even though the Mark V has 9 lugs, it's very difficult to get all 9 lugs engaging evenly. Back in the 90's, I asked Kleigunther to build me a .300 weatherby on a Mark V action, and he declined, because he liked the two lug Sako actions.

Comment

Thinking of old Roy used it as a marketing gimmick. His cartridges were on the cutting edge for having lots of power in their time when introduced. Is the action strong, yes but so are normal 2 lug designs. The MK 5 action does offer a shorter bolt throw over others. If they are so superior why hasn't the rest of the world jumped on the design?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            There are people who would argue with that. The Vangard action is generally considered superior for accuracy. The issue seems to be that, even though the Mark V has 9 lugs, it's very difficult to get all 9 lugs engaging evenly. Back in the 90's, I asked Kleigunther to build me a .300 weatherby on a Mark V action, and he declined, because he liked the two lug Sako actions.
                            Some people argue about anything these days. It doesn't establish their argument is meritorious.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                              If they are so superior why hasn't the rest of the world jumped on the design?
                              The vast majority of rifles built are targeted at the lower price points, for one. Then there's patent issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X