Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    If you're not a personal friend that I trust I would need these things.

A face to face meeting I felt good about
    Signed paperwork
    No night shooting
    Trapping only

Recreational hunting isn't help
    How is hunting not help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
      How is hunting not help?

How is it?

They breed faster than you're hunting them. It's fun but it's not help taking a couple out here and there. For fun you can add cash payment to my list. Strangers will also not be hunting our place at night which would be the best time.

Helicopter and traps would be most effective.

Comment

If it comes down to just wanting a turnkey place to shoot hogs, then the answer is always no. One place is bordered by river bottom public...all it takes is effort and it's free hogs, you just can't drive up to them and load them.

Comment

So, public land is the answer. 48 bucks = unlimited hugs...

Comment

Liability, trust they won't shoot something else they shouldn't, trust they won't **** off a neighbor by accidentally trespassing, trust they won't mess something up

Funny thing is I have a terrible Aoudad and Pig problem.

Building pens around my feeders to help with the hogs.
            Last edited by ballgame; 02-24-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Trust & doing as you are told. So many people don't understand those words anymore. Another thing is I have quite a few people come & ask about taking them, but when I ask them to come along some weekend when I need a hand, they are never available. Offer to help out with some work first without begging a hunt & if you get an invite to hunt bring a couple of sacks of corn. Things like this get you in faster than family with me.

Comment

Trust is the number one thing in my book.

Seems there's alot of people who hate the pigs but aren't willing to do what it takes to put a dent in the population on their place. They want someone else to figure out how to solve their problem and then do it for em. Doesnt make much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  here is my take... Most of the folks looking for "free" hunts are entitlement mentality folks. Im sure you are the exception. Those same folks are the most likely to push the limits and abuse the invitation, they dont have a vested interest anyway. If you dont believe me, go read the GUEST MISTAKES thread. It will open your eyes to why land owners wont let guests on their property.
                  Very accurate response... if you pay you will respect the privilege much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                    How is hunting not help?

Its like plugging a leaking **** with bubble gum. Recreational hunters, for the most part don't have the kill every **** one of them mentality. Its a eat what I kill and wait for the big one or the perfect eating size.

Comment

I talked to a hay man he bails hay on a lot of farms and I asked him for phone numbers for some farmers who might let me hunt hogs he gave me two numbers they both agreed to let me hunt the first over the phone the second wanted me to meet with him, he was late getting there and while I waited I picked up trash around the fence line when he pulled up I was throwing the trash into the back of my truck. I have been hunting there for 5 years now!!

Comment

I've often bartered work for places to hunt other than my own. metal fab work, framing work, masonary work, etc. knowing how to do a trade that a landowner needs done and being honest with the man will get you in more places than you have time to fool with in my experience.....

Comment

Originally posted by roger_silva View Post
                          So, public land is the answer. 48 bucks = unlimited hugs...
                          Whatever a regular hunting license costs, since not all public is WMA. You find water and thick timber, you find hogs, there's NF all around Rayburn and its tributaries.

Comment

Originally posted by OBU13DAD View Post
                            I talked to a hay man he bails hay on a lot of farms and I asked him for phone numbers for some farmers who might let me hunt hogs he gave me two numbers they both agreed to let me hunt the first over the phone the second wanted me to meet with him, he was late getting there and while I waited I picked up trash around the fence line when he pulled up I was throwing the trash into the back of my truck. I have been hunting there for 5 years now!!

Nice to know that there are still people like that.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              How is it?

They breed faster than you're hunting them. It's fun but it's not help taking a couple out here and there. For fun you can add cash payment to my list. Strangers will also not be hunting our place at night which would be the best time.

Helicopter and traps would be most effective.
                              Exactly! I think people that ask this question (the one posed by the OP) do not understand wild pigs. Allowing hunters to come in and hunt pigs does nothing to solve the problems that pigs impose on a land owner. So that is not an incentive.

Comment

They'll move to less pressure, collect or produce reinforcements and flank you in the middle of the night when you least expect it.

Comment

Working...
                                X