Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would it take to allow someone to hunt hogs?

As everyone knows, hogs are a huge problem here in Texas. People that own land often complain they are bad, destroy land, injure livestock, transmit disease, eat deer corn, etc...Everyone knows the arguments. However, for as destructive as they are, no one allows anyone to shoot hogs for free (In all fairness, maybe I just haven't found anyone that will).

The landowner position is they could be sued, don't know the person, can't trust a person, among others. As a landowner in Wisconsin, I totally understand this position. But I know that in order to have as many deer as we want on our land, we need more coyotes cleared out than we could ever shoot (Don't get me started on wolves), especially with me in Texas. We let people on our land to shoot coyotes for free. We know them enough to trust them, a clear explanation of the rules is given, and if they break them, they are out. It works pretty well. A lot of times we get something in return, like meat, or sheds, or at the very least, we get a coyote removed from our property. Knock on wood, never had an issue.

My question is, for you guys who are land owners here in Texas, what would it take to allow someone on your property to shoot hogs? Nothing, trust, money, signed paperwork? And what considerations am I leaving out of my thought process?

I am not criticizing anyone, I just want landowner thoughts.

In for the answers!

Comment

I think trust would be BY FAR the biggest consideration.
      We own land that is planted for pines that we lease to deer hunters. It is 3 hours away and our primary concern is that the trees aren't burned down! So, we don't require a lot in signing up lessees for hunting the land. (Pay the required amount and don't mess things up, all is good.)
      However, if it were land I lived on or had annual crops or livestock, I would be much more concerned with who was going to hunt it.
      Add to that the scenario of someone wanting to hunt hogs for free - I would have to trust the person a lot to allow it.
      Yes, eliminating hogs would do a farmer/landowner a service, but a careless shot, a gate left open, etc. can cause much more problems than it may be worth.

Comment

I don't own land but I would say that liability would be the biggest issue.
        You ask to hunt.
        Landowner is nice and says yes.
        You have an accident and break a leg or arm or worse shoot yourself.
        You sue him!
        Plus everything mentioned above, shooting cows, gates open, trash left, bringing a friend, coming back 2-3-4 times.
        Times have changed!

Comment

For me personally it is the trust issue. I do not want the headaches that come with "free" hunts. I am the one having to pay the extra for those "free" hunts. I would have to worry about reworking rutted or washed out roads, fires, trash, gates left open or shut by mistake or laziness, shooting near neighbors homes or careless shots, the person I let hunt free now is bringing his buddies(who I do not know) to hunt for free, my time wasted chasing buzzards to find out what is dead, etc. Most free hunts only show up when they want to, not when I need them to. When I find a hog problem, I need it taken care of ASAP. I do not like night hunting traffic on my land since that is when the whitetail are the most active. I do not want to have any hog feeders and all my feeders are in feed pens(except for the one at the house). I am managing the places to improve the whitetails. IME, when someone is paying for a lease they are more likely to hunt it more often to get their monies worth. I have more control over that person with lease rules, etc.

Comment

I own property that has "hog issues". Trust is it. If I don't know you I cant trust you will care for my property the way I wish or that you would sue me if you hurt yourself.

Comment

Landowner here. I think it might be different for each of us. We have hogs but not to the point where they are destroying everything so we don't have a need to get people to come out and shoot them. We have plenty of family that can take care of that plus we can trap them.
              So for us we do hog hunts for a minimal amount mainly to help pay for some corn throughout the year and mainly just do it from February to September. So the long and short of for us is we don't let people hunt for free but not making our living from hunting either.
              I think that TV shows have created this feeling that ALL landowners are over run and need people to come help eradicate them. I don't know many people in our area that beg people to come shoot hogs on their land. Just my observation.

oh and yes we do require a release of liability.

Comment

here is my take... Most of the folks looking for "free" hunts are entitlement mentality folks. Im sure you are the exception. Those same folks are the most likely to push the limits and abuse the invitation, they dont have a vested interest anyway. If you dont believe me, go read the GUEST MISTAKES thread. It will open your eyes to why land owners wont let guests on their property.

Comment

Plenty of hogs in Texas on public land...48 bucks...get your bow and go....the army corps lake where I live has thousands of hogs....I shot a trophy boar 3 weeks ago

Comment

In my screen pic!

Comment

I don't want people I don't know on my land. I don't want those people knowing where my land it, cuz I don't live there...it's trust. I don't have a lot of land to trust them with, but people do stupid stuff in the woods. Once ya let them hunt, they feel entitled to hunt. Why should I give away something away that I paid for?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        here is my take... Most of the folks looking for "free" hunts are entitlement mentality folks. Im sure you are the exception. Those same folks are the most likely to push the limits and abuse the invitation, they dont have a vested interest anyway. If you dont believe me, go read the GUEST MISTAKES thread. It will open your eyes to why land owners wont let guests on their property.
                        I agree but to tag onto that also is people that pay for a hunt expect to be able to do whatever the hec the want to. Some are trigger happy idiots. They go out and shoot at everything that moves and then come in and say I didn't see any hogs or deer!! No crap i wonder why.

I digress getting off point but I do think there is a definite risk that the landowner takes when letting someone on their land. If you hunt it long enough something is bound to happen. We have a saying in education admin business " Its not if something will happen, its when!"

Comment

Definately a liability issue here in Texas....you just have to know people!...its not what you know but who u know....that's it

Comment

For me here is what it is:

1. Trust
                            2. Liability
                            3. My place isn't huge and I love hunting them, so I usually take friends when I go or offer. I don't own but 140 acres, but I have access to several hundred more to hog hunt.
                            4. Not worth dealing with strangers as some hunters are very naïve and clueless unfortunately and I don't have time to deal with all that

Comment

For us its a liability issue. Second we have cows and we don't want people out shooting at night . Second its the fact that with exception to many people just don't leave things how they find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X