Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

I am starting to think about a new pickup and have been a Chevy guy my whole life, but I am thinking about a new Ford. I am having trouble deciding between the V8 or the V6 EcoBoost. The main thing I am looking for is MPG since I really don't pull anything. Most of my mileage is done on the Interstate and in my current truck (2008 Chevy 1500 Crew 5.3L V8) I have averaged 17.7 over 156K.

I have done a lot of reading on the EcoBoost and I am seeing mixed reviews on the MPG performance. Anybody have any thoughts on which directions I should go?

All I know is don't put bumpers/tool boxes on a Eco.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
      The only thing I will add is a pickup bed cover (sitting below bed line). My trucks are for show, not work.

Comment

Resale will be lower on a v6

My father in law just got a new one with the v8 and loves the thing

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          The only thing I will add is a pickup bed cover (sitting below bed line). My trucks are for show, not work.
          If that's the case I would buy a lamborghini

Comment

If that's the case I would buy a lamborghini
            I am not there......yet!

Comment

Been a chevy guy too but right now fords are building a better ride. We just got a used 2011 f-150 4x4 and it has the 5.0. I love it compared to my 2012 chevy with the 5.3 in it I drive for work. Havent really gotten to do a lot of highway driving but for in town it has averaged 16+. That number may go up after we have had it longer and can get a better idea of what it really gets.

But it is hands down a better vehicle than chevy. A on more room in the back seat and ust an overall better ride with more power. I think you will be happy with either motor.

Comment

I bought a new truck last year after doing extensive research on MPG. Like you, I rarely will ever pull anything other than a trailer to help someone move. I went with the Chevy because the 3 Ford dealerships were 2K over the cost of the Chevy. Basically the same exact truck except for the V8 versus the Ford V6... From what I read and researched, it would take years to really justify even the 2K difference... I average 18.3 driving through traffic on the highway about 20 miles one way 5 days a week. This is a 2011 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition.

Now, I will say that the extra legroom on the Ford extended cab would be nice if you have kids and the Ford Sync software for smartphones beats Chevy hands down, but I'm a frugal guy and have no kids.

Comment

I can understand the weight of a replacement bumper but why a tool box...especially those made for the smaller shortbox beds?

Comment

I got the EcoBoost last year for a commuter vehicle. If you are looking for mileage more than offroad capabilities, I'd avoid the 373 rear end to get better mileage. I drove the 5.0 and the Eco and the power on the Eco was much better. Nav, sync, crew, ac/heated seats. Love to drive it.

I will say if you drive it like you stole it you can be down to 16mpg on a tank. But that is still better than a 5.4 while babying it.

Comment

Eco has more power and better MPG than the 5.0. Wasn't even a question for me after a test drive. I have a 2011 FX4 with the ecoboost and I LOVE IT!

Comment

Go ecoboost. Your mpg will be better. Horsepower wise they feel pretty close. I've driven both. Both are awesome trucks. You really can't go wrong either way.

Comment

Ecoboost all the way. I have 8,000 miles on mine and average 17mpg.

Comment

Thanks guys. I started out wanting the Eco and after some reading I was concerned about reported disappointments in mpg performance.

Its time to play let's make a deal.

Comment

Honestly my truck is a POS! I will never buy another Ford as long as I live! Stick with Chevy!

Comment

Working...
                              X