No announcement yet.

San Saba Ranch / ABC ranch / www.sansabaranch.com a bad review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erik pretty much nailed it. We gave Richard ample time to try and make things 'right". I asked him as me and Erik were pulling away if he realized just how much money his "friend" had just cost him. His loss.

Comment

My hats off to you guys for keeping your cool, bad situation!

Comment

Ok... glad I wasn't there

Comment

Sounds like someone just became an "ex" day lease, hog hunt operator.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure and steer folks clear of this place.

Comment

You bunch of trouble makers.

Sounds like y'all handled it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. D View Post
              Erik pretty much nailed it. We gave Richard ample time to try and make things 'right". I asked him as me and Erik were pulling away if he realized just how much money his "friend" had just cost him. His loss.

no Kidding on the lost monies part.

well played gentlemen.

DR, weren't we told something about "a friend" on our trip a few years back?? glad we didn't have this experience.....

Comment

Thanks for the info Erik....While I don't do many day hunt places (for this same reason) ... this one is offically on the "oh hell no" I won't ever go there list

Comment

Glad I wasn't there. I rarely act properly in such circumstances...Yall made all bowhunters proud!

Comment

The mods should stickey this so he can see how much money they cost themselves

Comment

Good job guys. Way to make the green screen and it's members shine. Deffinately lost a customer here.

Comment

Is this ranch a sponsor here?

You boys took the high road and for a reason. Yall know yall are the better man. Bowhunters are typically and highly respeceted class of hunters in our world. This Richard guy has no class to be found. He shouldnt have anything about bow hunting only on his website as he knows nothing of Archery.

If he wants to run dogs then so be it but thats what he needs to advertise. There are plenty of people who want to kill hogs that way. He needs to market to them. Sounds like he needs to stick his friend out in the field and the let the dogs run him.

Bad deal all the way around. Glad you boys came out on top. He had a Jury of 7 but now that the story is on TBH he has 20,000 executioners to do him in. He will get what is his and there is plenty coming to him.

Comment

I know this isnt worth much because I cant make it a real offer BUT IF I did have a place with pigs I would invite all you boys out to slay away. Wish I had a place for yall. I would be honored to share a fire with yall.

Comment

Being a day lease owner I HATE to hear these kind of stories. You all sound like stand up guys and not sure if any of you have hunted with my son Skylar at the Diamond C but if your group wants to book a hunt with us, I will tell Sky to give you a 100 dollar discount per guy and if you don't see a ton of hogs and have a good time, I will refund all of your money. Doesn't help with the money or time you lost but takes the risk out of booking your next day lease hunt.

Comment

Direct quote from Richard the landowner minutes before his "friend" questioned Lee and Matt's sexuality.

Richard, "About 6:30, you boys gonna be ready? I got them dogs ready for y'all."

Lee, "you gonna pay us to help you train your dogs or what? No, sir, I think a few of us are gonna go to town and watch the UT game, and a few of us are gonna stay and hunt the stands this evening."

Richard, "shoot, if you boys want some meat, we need to run them dogs. Them dogs will find and kill more hogs than you boys will ever see."

Seriously? How many times do we have to politely reject the notion of hog dogging? We want to bowhunt!!

And yes, Richard, we know the dogs will find more hogs, because obviously you've been running dogs in the hog enclosure, because the hogs are extremely skittish, there are only about 20 hogs in the hog ranch as well. But that's not what we are here for, we want to bowhunt.

For the record, this is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the group I was with this weekend. Which is one heck of a group of guys!

I have hunted the ABC ranch before, probably 5-6 stand sits now. I have NEVER seen a hog while hunting on a stand. The last time February 2008, I hunted and there were probably 75 pigs in the 100 acre pasture. I had fun stalking pigs and was able to connect on 2 hogs.

Fast forward to this hunt September 2010, I walked the ranch 4 times Saturday morning. I ran into the same 3 groups of hogs 3 times. There was a group of 12-15, 1 sow and 13-14, 20-30 lb. pigs. A group of 3 young boars about 40-50 lbs. And finally a sow and 3 piglettes about 15-20 lbs. That was all that I saw and confirmed these same group sitings with my hunting brothers. According to my math, that is 22 hogs, + the 2 Erik and Lee killed. So 24 total.

Richard claimed to have 30-40 in the pasture. He later admitted that he hadn't been trapping hogs because of the heat, and that he wasn't interested in bowhunting hogs anymore, but would rather hunt them with dogs.

The lack of hogs and the insistent comments on hog dogging rather than bowhunting had my mind made up that I would never set foot on this ranch again!! I was upset at the ranch's lack of professionalism before the unfornate and disrespectful incident that occured hours later.

For the record, so everyone knows how much we were disrespected, I will allow 2 of the comments the friend made at our group, and for the record, note that Richard the owner of the ABC Ranch, never apologized, made his friend apologize, nor recognized to any of us that this was not the way to run a leased hunt, nor a way to treat people.

While we were playing horse shoes in a loud obnoxious voice, Richard's "friend" had these comments for us. Note, no one of Richard's friends ever came up to any one of us and introduced themselves, nor shook hands, but had the audacity to open their mouth to us in the following manner:

Richard's "friend," very sarcastically "Got the Pat Green on the radio, I can see what kind of group you guys are, Ha Ha."

"I can see you guys are some REAL hunters and hog killers, walking around here in your shorts, no shirts, and flip flops on."

And last but not least, as Lee and Matt asked Richard and his "friends" if they knew a bar nearby that would be playing the UT vs. Wyoming football game was,

"What do you guys want to go to town for, you want to get a hotel room? You guys butt buddies or something?"

That was when Lee and the rest of our group lost our composure for this loud mouth guy, and when we decided it was time to leave the ranch. I was disappointed in the ranch, it's owner, and especially the way we were treated after spending $1,400 at this place.

Not only were there no hogs, but a friend of mine was disrespected so badly, I wouldn't have handled it as well as he did. Kudos to Lee for keeping his cool, I would not have.

I had a great time with my buddies none the less, and can't wait to get together in a month and hunt with my boys again!

Comment

Sad to hear indeed.

You guys handled it with class though.

Comment

Working...
                                X