Cabin or Camper for lease???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin or Camper for lease???

Curious what your opinion is on finishing out a storage building as a cabin vs having a camper to stay in at the lease. I have always has a camper to stay in at the lease but some of these diy cabins look pretty cool. Guess the positive of a camper is they are already ready to go just pull it in place and all electric, water, bathroom, ac and heat is already done. But seems they fall apart fairly quick. Vs a cabin you have to do everything yourself but seems it would last a lot longer with proper maintenance. Which do you prefer and why?

I currently have to use a tent so I'd be happy with either. I know a guy that built a really nice "cabin" on a flat bed. Had all the plumbing, electric, etc roughed in the walls. He pulled it to camp and set up it on blocks using a bottle jack. When he got off the lease he went back out, reversed the process, and took it with him.

Comment

I don’t have either but I like the building idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For a year-to-year lease, I'd prefer it to be mobile

Comment

If a lease, not a building unless you can move it very easily. You can lose a lease at any time and you can just hook up a trailer and leave.

Comment

I'm going to use a 12 ft enclosed trailer for next year.. I stayed in a tent for 2 weeks in Colorado . Talk about uncomfortable. I'd prefer something I can lock all my stuff in when I stop for the night on long trips. I've never had good luck with an rv unless it was covered . They always seem to leak. If it's a semi permanent place I'd build a small cabin

Comment

The bonus of the camper is not that you can just pull it in and be ready quickly but that you can just pull it out when you lose the lease. I've been on leases that we thought were going to be very long term and still end up losing them. It cannot be predicted. All it takes is an owner dying and family member taking over the land. I will probably never build another permanent building on someone else's property again.

Comment

I'm looking at getting a cabin for our place. We own the property so do not have to worry about moving it. looking at a 12X30 and finishing out the inside with a bathroom. Going to take a little time a work but i think it will be nice once everything done.

Comment

I had this debate several years ago myself. After looking at the prices of a decent, used camper (something my wife and kids would agree to stay in), I figured I could build one heck of a cabin for the same price or even cheaper. We had been on the lease for decades, so I felt secure in the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about moving it. Built a 16 x 24 cabin and it was awesome. Low and behold, my worst nightmare came true and at the end of this past season, the ranch owner decided to up and not renew our lease. It was a calculated risk I was willing to take from the beginning, but never imagined it would have happened. I'd definitely build another one again in the future, but would make changes to make it more portable, ie build on skids and make it narrower to be able to be winched on a trailer if needed.

Comment

A cabin would definitely be better in the long run but only if it is portable are if you own the land. Like others have said you can lose a lease at any moment. A camper does the trick just fine though and for the most part is cozy if you have a good Ac ,heater and Tv .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A decent "deer lease camper" sells for a lot cheaper than you can probably build a cabin for, and is ready to go without labor unless you buy super cheap fixer upper.

Comment

If you know it’s a long term place cabin all the way. Last summer I turned a pup trailer into a cabin. Best thing I ever did. Kids helped and enjoyed it.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Camper without a doubt. And as big as you can pull and afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in the same boat I think. Landowner says “I’ll never let you leave this ranch” but when she passes, there’s no telling what her kids will do. I’m leaning toward the camper and just throw a tarp over it when I’m not there until I can build a cover for it. I think a decent little cover shouldn’t be too hard to build over a bumper pull rv and it’ll give me a covered place to sit outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like a cargo trailer, you can get a 7x16 brand new for $3,000 and it will outlast an RV by a good long while. Take a look at the Home Depot parking lot for ones that have been abused for a decade or two.

Add a couple windows, 12v system, portable AC, queen bed in the back, and a table/cabinets in the V-Nose. I use a marine cassette toilet that can be dumped into a gas station bathroom, no black tank to deal with. Cooking is done with a Coleman stove, no need to get super fancy to hunt for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X