Would it be animal cruelty if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I live in a neighborhood and my wife went out to the car and let the dogs walk with her. The neighbor’s dog jumped their fence to go after my larger dog(Vera). My wife’s little yorkie/rat terrier mix (Chloe) ran up and the dog grabbed Chloe by the neck (it was dark, so didn’t realize that til later, which is probably the only reason the neighbor’s dog isn’t piled up in my yard right now). Then Vera grabbed the dog, the dog dropped Chloe, and Chloe went nuts crying and yelping. I separated Vera and the other dog. My wife scooped up Chloe and we went inside. There was a bunch of blood coming from Chloe’s mouth, and a decent little gash on her side. I thought she was bleeding internally at first (because of the bleeding from the mouth), but that doesn’t seem to be the case. We got Chloe to the vet tonight and she got staples, pain killers, and antibiotics and she is doing pretty well now. The neighbors feel terrible and have offered to pay the vet cost. If I had known when I ran outside that the dog had Chloe in her mouth, with a death grip on her, I’m pretty sure the night would have ended differently for that neighbor dog. My question is, would it have been animal cruelty for me to stop that dog with whatever means it took, or would I have been within my rights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds like a case for Judge Judy to decide.

Comment

I have no idea but if someone elses dog ever went after mine and I was in that situation that dog wouldn’t be walking away from it. It almost happened a couple months back to.

Curious to hear legalities of a scenario like that

Comment

A couple solid punches and a tube of super glue woulda fixed it all.

Comment

Sounds like a bunch of leash laws broke,

Comment

Not sure of the legal aspects but you say the neighbor’s dog left their property and the attack took place on your property, right? I would personally think you would be within your rights to take whatever actions necessary to protect your person and property. Your dog...your property.
            Again, not clear on the legality of the situation....but I know what I would have done if I absolutely had to. I just would refrain from posting said actions on social media outlets afterwards.

Comment

We are in a neighborhood, but out of city limits, so no leash laws here.
              Attack happened on my property.
              I’m actually kind of glad that I didn’t realize what was going on til it was almost over, because I know how it would have turned out, I just don’t know what the legality of it would have been. I definitely wouldn’t be posting about it though

Comment

I walk my dog in the neighbor hood three-five miles every night and have multiple times had dogs try to attack her. She is always on a leash and the other dogs have not been. I’ve gotten pretty good with a swift kick to the side of there head, jaw, throat or guts. I rolled a big shepherd mix a couple weeks ago. And owner immediately put it on a leash. I’ve been able to deture every one so far. A couple have been pit mixes ( pulled my knife and just about put a zipper in a pit this past summer) to small poodle sized dogs. The owners have not said to much, yet. But I know the day will come. Now it’s just a reflex, and I will protect her with all I got, legal or not.
                Last edited by critter69; 02-09-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Probably all depends on how much social media exposure the animal right people gave the case. Things like that go viral and then you get a bunny hugging judge and you're SOL.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                    I’m actually kind of glad that I didn’t realize what was going on til it was almost over, because I know how it would have turned out, I just don’t know what the legality of it would have been. I definitely wouldn’t be posting about it though
                    Understood...we are definitely on the same page. Prayers for the little ankle biter. Hope she heals up good with no complications.

Comment

Our Great Pyrenees did the same thing to a neighbor's dog . . . twice! Our homeowners policy covered vet bills for the neighbors. File a claim.

Comment

I’ve had bigger cuts on my eyeball lol

Comment

Legally, the neighbors dog should be quarantined for the 10 day period for rabies watch. Whenever a dog bites a person or is in a fight type situation, this usually occurs. Especially with people. I would make the neighbors pay for any and all vet bills as well as the quarantine. Would hopefully teach the owners a lesson if nothing else.

Comment

I’ll put it like this. My dog was in my fenced back yard and the neighbors pit jumped my fence. The pit had my lab by the neck when that 9mm connected. The neighbors dog did not leave my backyard on it’s own that day. Police said I was well within my legal right to protect my property and pets. That neighbor also got a ticket that day and I got a hand shake. There had been several reports about that dog from several people in the area. The neighbor had been ticketed a few times before that day. To this day they still let there other dogs run around the neighborhood. Guess they didn’t learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post

My wife and I rescue Great Danes and I have a female that’s about 140 pounds that’s been aggressive to other dogs before. We always keep her on a leash and I will tune her up quick if she shows any aggression.

I never would never trust her to roam free. If a dog I owned ever did that I would pay all vet bills and apologize profusely.

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-10-2019, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X