Oats or rye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats or rye?

We won’t close on our property until November 4. Will it be too late to put out oats or rye grass?

I would still go with oats. I live southwest of Ft.Worth and that's what I always plant. I have planted them as late as the end of October and they did just fine. Oats are preferred over rye by deer.

Comment

Where is it?

You should be able to plant either through the end of November. I just put out oats last week.

Comment

“If your deer eat rye, they’re starving. “. James Kroll.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          “If your deer eat rye, they’re starving. “. James Kroll.

nonsense!

Comment

Oats. Rye looks good, deer will not eat them much

Comment

Oats and radishes is my go to
              Guy down the road grows rye for the Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye I don’t see many animals in it
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-26-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Oats or winter wheat

Comment

Deer don't eat rye.... hogwash.... don't plant ryegrass.... cereal rye (most likely Elbon variety) is what you want for plots. Depends on where you are but cereal rye or wheat will be tolerant of freezing... oats will not.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                    Oats or winter wheat
                    This!

Comment

If it was a place I owned I would be willing to skip this fall and spend the money and time on getting the ground ready to produce for the future. Soil test then lime etc.

Comment

Mix oats & winter wheat. Rye sucks - I have never had deer eat it where I've planted it. Mix in some type of clover, turnips and radishes if you're feeling froggy.

Comment

Cereal rye not rye grass! Rye is extremely cold tolerant and deer will smash it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                            Mix oats & winter wheat. Rye sucks - I have never had deer eat it where I've planted it. Mix in some type of clover, turnips and radishes if you're feeling froggy.
                            ^^^^^ clover , radishes will add nitrogen naturally and radish with breakup / condition the soil , with no till , unless you want to do the fertilizer and till thing

Comment

you can do a mix, don't have to plant just one thing! Deer prefer a buffet

Comment

Working...
                              X