Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #51
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Cody, a compound bow works entirely different.

Contrary to what you might think, lengthening the string, and/or shortening the cables of the compound bow increases both the draw weight, and the inline preload of the string at rest brace height. They are actually pretty easy to hotrod up.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #52
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Sheesh, now you tell me. Since I still enjoy shooting my compound, do I need to find a specific shop to help get a little more, or should most bow shops know what to do to increase the performance a little.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #53
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
Sheesh, now you tell me. Since I still enjoy shooting my compound, do I need to find a specific shop to help get a little more, or should most bow shops know what to do to increase the performance a little.
Any pro shop should know what to do, but fair warning - it could get expensive, because it involves building custom length cables & string.

Rick
Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #54
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

hmm, just got my attention. "Expensive" meaning what I have has been working fine and do not need to spend any more to make anything more dead then already dead.
Rick my longbow and recurve can fluctuate at least 1/8 before I begin to notice anything, and sometimes I have found my recurve to be 1/2" shorter (due to LOTS of shooting and older B50 strings) before any attention is needed. Do you have a variance you shoot in or do you pretty much maintain one steady peek set?
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #55
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
hmm, just got my attention. "Expensive" meaning what I have has been working fine and do not need to spend any more to make anything more dead then already dead.
Rick my longbow and recurve can fluctuate at least 1/8 before I begin to notice anything, and sometimes I have found my recurve to be 1/2" shorter (due to LOTS of shooting and older B50 strings) before any attention is needed. Do you have a variance you shoot in or do you pretty much maintain one steady peek set?
Even though a 1/8" change either way isn't crucial, I can see a slight difference in my left to right impact when it is off, so I maintain my brace height where I want it at all times. The first thing I do when I pick up my bow is check the brace height, and adjust if required.

Have to remember, I shoot vanes off the shelf, and tune for a slightly weaker flying arrow then most do using feather, so it's a little more critical/tricky.

Rick