KJO for the first time July 26-28:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KJO for the first time July 26-28:

First, let me say it was TBH that led me to book this hunt with Keith. Thanks to the great reviews of the hunting ,but mostly the great reviews of Keith himself. Meeting him in the HEB proved the reports to be dead accurate. Very personable and down to earth. We arrived at camp, settled in and shared stories of past bow hunting mishaps and triumphs. One of our hunters was running behind so Keith and I were to meet him at the highway. Well a lost text, a wrong turn, and an hour later, I felt as if Keith and I had been friends for years. Finally we were all present and headed to hunt.

Friday sit #1. It had been decided we would hunt trails due to the wet weather this year and the fact that the animals only needed to go short distances to feed and water. No need for corn. This sit I had a young black buck walk within 5 yards and later got busted by 7 more young black bucks. Other hunters spotted lots of black bucks as well, rams, had one pig shot but bad hit and was lost.

Saturday morning sit #2:
    Went back to same spot but saw nothing. It later became apparent the animals were moving into this area after lunch. Other hunters again saw numerous black bucks, rams, aoudad, and sika. Our 13 year old hunter was the highlight!! This morning he got his first bow kill! A goat of some kind! Please forgive me for not knowing my goats. It was hilarious hearing him excitedly telling his story. Great to see kids excited about hunting.

Midday hunt:
    I sat on the edge of a small pond and had 4 pigs in the mud as I eased up. Could not get in position to shoot as they were walking away. Sat down and at 2:30 see a really nice axis buck heading my way. Narrow rack but very tall. He turned at about 70 yards and cut across in front of me out of range. He was feeding on the abundant foliage. Very pretty deer but no shot at that distance. He wondered off in the direction of my morning hunting spot. Other hunters saw small sika buck, rams, and pigs, and of course black bucks. Let me say Keith has some amazing immature black bucks pushing 20" and still show no black coloration. In a couple of years these will be great trophies!

Evening hunt:
    Wind is going crazy changing directions and blowing hard from a nearby storm. I wound up back in my original spot. Just before dark a very nice axis buck, possibly the one I had seen this afternoon, is moving thru the brush. He turns off and crosses at about 40 yards thru the brush and never presents a shot. Ugghhh!!!! So close but nope.
    Other hunters saw lots of animals again.

Last morning hunt:
    I have thrown in the towel for an axis and decided to sit at a feeder for one of the massive rams we had seen while picking up hunters. At first light as soon as feeder went off a gorgeous Sika bull walks in and begins feeding. I can hear an axis buck bawling in front and behind me. I sat still watching this sika when suddenly, that shrill bark never to be mistaken, yep busted by an axis doe I could not even see right behind me. I'm assuming she caught wind of me. Just my luck!! Saw numerous black bucks the rest of the morning. Other hunters saw the same as before except a small axis buck was seen as well as a shooter axis buck, neither of which offered shots and a young red stag.

The animals are defiantly there, but with the green, water everywhere conditions they are very elusive. As is always the case, a little luck, well a lot of luck in my case, is needed. We all had a great time and I have already booked a hunt for next May to take my wife for one of those rams. Keith is a great guy and works hard to put you in the best opportunities he can. All in all, I say 100% satisfied. Can't wait for my return trip!!
    Attached Files

Awesome deal!!!!

Comment

Nice..

Comment

awsome! seems like there is never a bad story from KJO

Comment

Awesome!!!! we will be there Sept. 12 thur the 15!!! CAN"T WAIT!!!

Comment

Great write up! Hoping to book a hunt there in the spring

Comment

Would love to hear that young mans story even though that smile says it all. Keith is a good person and does have plenty of critters.Glad you enjoyed it .

Comment

Love the KJO stories. Can't wait to go!

Comment

Going August 16-18.. Can't wait.

Comment

Never a bad review of that place. Glad you had a good hunt.

Comment

Great write up! I try to get down there at least 3-4 times a year. Keith and Wade are good people!

Comment

Cool deal!! Keith loves them kids. I will be there with ace340 in Sept. I think i may go after my first ram.

Ray

Comment

Thanks for the update I have a group headed that way in august!!!!!

Comment

I'll be there in August as well

Comment

Working...
                            X