X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Antlers

You left out the and why part.

I'm curious to see how y'all that hang them by the head skin them. They do seem easier to gut that way if not already field dressed.

I'm surprised how many of y'all gut them and head to a processor without even skinning the deer. I am my own processor. I hang them from the hind legs on a gambrel. I skin and gut the deer, then hang it in my walk in cooler. Of course I can only do this when I'm at my home lease.

Last year I got on two other leases, and had to start quartering deer for ice chest again. Prior to last season I can't remember the last time I killed one and couldn't just carry it to the walk in cooler.

I still preferred skinning it head down. I hang it from a gambrel and use loppers to remove the legs at the knees. I usually don't remove the guts at all. I will just trim down enough to expose the tenderloins then remove them. Then I peel out the backstraps and neck meat. Next I cut the front shoulders off. Then I use a bone saw and cut the backbone below the hind quarters. After that I split the quarters in half, and I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
      A lot of people don’t gut and miss the heart and liver, crazy.

That's because the heart and liver is nasty!

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
        If caping head down, otherwise hang by the head.
        Same here... all the old timers I learned from hung them by the head so that's the way I learned growing up.

Comment

Hang by the back legs, I do not gut them I let guts fall in the cavity and it makes for a "Clean" Cleaning. ANNND yes you can get tenderloins

Comment

head down and haven't gut a deer in .....heck I cant even remember the last time. I leave a venison omlet for the birds

Comment

By head- carpet knife around neck and then about 6 times down critter. Peel like a banana. Skin whitetail in less than 3 minutes. Learned this on big ranch from vacaros when we shot 60 MLD deer one morning. They had them all skinned and quartered faster than most people could clean one deer. I'm probably from ground to cooler in less than 10 minutes and I've slowed down a lot

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                You left out the and why part.

Doesn’t matter. I’m not gonna change anyone’s mind in how they skin a deer.

Comment

About thirty thousand cattle are slaughtered every weekday. I don't know of a single one that is hung head up. Think about it, then mimmick the professionals.

Comment

I don't gut anything anymore either, that's what my son is for!

Comment

I have always hung deer on a gambrell head down. There have been times when I didn't have the equipment nessa to hang it the way I wanted, I hung it by its head. But I was always taught that the best meat is in the hinds and rear of the deer. You want it to bleed out and all juices drip towards the least desirable. toughest meat on the deer, front legs and neck.

Comment

On the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Doesn’t matter. I’m not gonna change anyone’s mind in how they skin a deer.
                          Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                          About thirty thousand cattle are slaughtered every weekday. I don't know of a single one that is hung head up. Think about it, then mimmick the professionals.
                          Perfect example here...

I’m not changing my mind based on a commercial facility with equipment I don’t have.

Comment

Always head down if caping. Most of the time head down anyway. Always fielddress on ground to cool quicker then hang, skin and quarter.

Comment

Hang by the back legs in a gambrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                                If caping head down, otherwise hang by the head.
                                x2

Comment

Working...
                                X