2017 Houston Astros season thread, "Earn it"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    I was a Colt 45 little leaguer back in the early sixties. Went to a game and Sandy Koufax and the Dodgers were in Town. I got an autographed ball from Koufax lost it about a week later. Really awesome to see the Astros bring home a Championship!
    Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    That is cool!! We may have been at the same game!! Our Little League team came to Houston from Lufkin to watch the Colt 45's play the Dodgers and Koufax! I remember it like it was yesterday. I still have one of those little mini-bats I got that day with the '45's logo on it...
    Can't recall how many Little League days I attended with my different teams starting in 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
      Can't recall how many Little League days I attended with my different teams starting in 1962.
      Same here. I remember attending clinics on the floor of the Astrodome given by guys like Craig Reynolds, Alan Ashby, Dave Smith, Enos Cabell, Kevin Bass, etc. It was the first time I saw how small a middle infielder's glove really was.

It's funny, due to job and life, baseball kind of fell off the radar for me. This Astros team has caused me to care about baseball again.

Comment

Got boys tournament ender games today...
        Must say...i miss looking forward to stros baseball daily already...
        I'd say there's an empty space..but when I checked it had a FREAKIN WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY IN IT!!!
        EARNED it.

Comment

2017 World Champions. They earned it alright!!

Next years slogan "Keep It".......

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            2017 World Champions. They earned it alright!!

Next years slogan "Keep It".......
            I'll start the thread when the time is right

Comment

Mr. Beltran.... has retired.

Lots of people calling for him to be hired as a coach.
              Last edited by systemnt; 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

Heck of a career for sure! He would be a great coach, and i am sure will be on someone's staff in the near future.

I am blessed to have played this game for 20 years. Now, it is time for me to go home.

Great piece he wrote announcing his retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  He has earned it. It would be very smart of the Astros to lock him up for more than the next two years if he is willing to take a reasonable discount to get paid a few year earlier. Regardless, they have him for at least two years as well as all the other core pieces of this team.
                  x2!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
                  Heck of a career for sure! He would be a great coach, and i am sure will be on someone's staff in the near future.

I am blessed to have played this game for 20 years. Now, it is time for me to go home.

Great piece he wrote announcing his retirement!
                  Yes he will! Maybe bench coach soon for us...I hope

Comment

Would like to see him replace Cora as our bench coach.

Comment

He EARNED IT!

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                        Would like to see him replace Cora as our bench coach.
                        That position has already been filled by Joe Espada.

Comment

Would like to see him stay in Houston, but I'd bet he winds up in NY.

Comment

Carlos was a great piece to the puzzle this past season. He was a mentor to this young team as was McCann. He may not have put up the numbers he wanted to this year but he had quite a few key hits when the team needed them. He was very gracious and accepting of his diminished role as the season wore on and the post season got underway. I wish him nothing of the best going forward. I never understood why some fans were upset when he left the first time. He came in and did more than anyone imagined and then took advantage of the situation he made for himself. Thank you Carlos Beltran for helping bring that World Series Championship to the city of Houston your second time through.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              Carlos was a great piece to the puzzle this past season. He was a mentor to this young team as was McCann. He may not have put up the numbers he wanted to this year but he had quite a few key hits when the team needed them. He was very gracious and accepting of his diminished role as the season wore on and the post season got underway. I wish him nothing of the best going forward. I never understood why some fans were upset when he left the first time. He came in and did more than anyone imagined and then took advantage of the situation he made for himself. Thank you Carlos Beltran for helping bring that World Series Championship to the city of Houston your second time through.
                              suck up

I think he helped ...actually i know he did based on every Astros interviewed about him.... helped in his leadership capacity more than his bat... but then ..thats why he was really here...
                              And while there were a few that hated his at AB's, until he smoked one every now and then, and thought the team would better off with him somewhere else because his playing time contributions were just low as hell....those guys OBVIOUSLY didnt see the bigger picture BEHIND the scenes.
                              Its ok.
                              People make mistakes. Some of them ate that crow, so lets forgive and forget.

I too dont think he'll be with the Astros.. think the Yanks will let him finish whatever he decides to do as a Yankee.
                              Last edited by systemnt; 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X