Selfbow questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbow questions

Building a Selfbow. If I back it with something besides wood is it still considered a selfbow?
    What can I back it with to increase the draw weight considerably? Its red oak and feels like 30#s, would like at least. 45.
    Its 72" long, how much could I shorten it to get it to around 45?
    Also if I put fiberglass resin on it to hold the backing will it still be a Selfbow ( in tbot rules )?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Any man made materials makes it a longbow, not a selfbow. Adding wood or bamboo to the limbs makes it a composite. Shortening it will get you more weight but I seriously doubt #15.

Comment

Backings must be of animal parts for tbot. The only backing to add poundage would be sinew. Red oak is poor in compression so it will crush with a weight adding backing. Best to cut it down. To add fifteen pounds I would only cut it 3/4” max on each end. That will probably be too much but you can shave weight off slowly to get what you want. Also red oak takes loads of set so it may be best to end up a little heavy. I would back a red oak board with raw hide to save your noggin. Kiln dried oak is unpredictable but not impossible to get a good shooter out of. I have one I backed with linen four years ago and it shoots great, just ain’t the prettiest of things. Good luck to you sir!

Comment

Also exercise those limbs before putting it on the tiller tree each time. I found if you don’t, you can finish it out at a certain weight and it will lose weight fast with first fifty shots or so.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll cut it down

Comment

Is this your first selfbow? If so, leave it the weight it is tillering at, finish it, and build another bow. Don't get too hung up on hitting a certain weight until you have built a few that hold together.

Good luck, building bows is a lot of fun and I miss it.

Comment

Well back to the lumber pile. Lol Tried to draw it to 31" before I cut it down.
              Yeah it was my first try so I'm not surprised nor too disappointed.
              Next time I'll do better.

Comment

Selfbow questions

You have a 31” DL???

That’s a pretty serious hinge right there! [emoji38][emoji15][emoji15][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Naw Bisch, I was gonna shorten the bow to try for more draw weight but pulled it to 31" first which I figured would be about equal to 29 after I shortened it. Didn't work! [emoji6][emoji6]
                  Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  You have a 31” DL???

That’s a pretty serious hinge right there! [emoji38][emoji15][emoji15][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you ain’t breakin you ain’t making! Boards must be perfect. Find you a hickory stave. No ring chasing, just pull off the bark and that’s your bow back. Just keep it dry, hickory soaks up all the moisture in the air. And if you have a 31” draw, leave all wood bows as long as possible. 72” would be a minimum on anything other than Osage. Even Osage would be best the longer it is.

Comment

Sorry we posted at the same time. You would be amazed at how much weight shortening a bow puts on. By drawing it further your just drawing the same length lever further.

Comment

Ok
                        Thanks Ken, I need all the advice I can get.
                        I'm just glad it was just a 9 dollar board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                          Ok
                          Thanks Ken, I need all the advice I can get.
                          I'm just glad it was just a 9 dollar board.

How'd ole dad say " ya knocked me down and skin my chin but you son of a gun I'll try ya again" [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Comment

Bro..you live in osage land ...id go that roite first...better success with a shooter first er....second time out...lol

Comment

Just take your time ..its not a race...youll get it

Comment

Working...
                              X