The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old killer View Post
    My ATV can handle 44lbs and 1/2 an elk easily.
    Have to go now, packing the truck and trailer. I leave in the morning for a month in New Mexico. Grouse, Elk, and Mule Deer, maybe a rabbit or 2 or whatever it takes to make a stew..
    Good luck George...

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
      Blame me, I think I made that for him last year!
      Not blaming...just clarifying. That pic is a little deceiving because the front leg is forward.

It's certainly a good thing to point out this time of year. Being a whitetail hunter, I think the tendency is to aim a little further back...in the crease.

But for elk (and whitetail really) the sweet spot seems to be straight up the leg bone on a broadside shot.

Comment

Can't say I'm envious of you guys humping up a CO Mountain. I've done it and it hurts....it's pure luck I am not doing that myself this year. If you are under 50 with enough water to get to spike camp you are doing real good! Good luck to you guys heading out this week for openers!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          As for water it'll depend on the area you hunt. I have not had a problem finding water In CO or WY but have not hunted past about 10.5K ft. There were always running streams in Sept. The closer to timberline you go the more scarce water will be. In SW states you really have to make a good plan. I've hunted NV and NM and had to make a very good plan for water and for caching water there. GE with a Topo plugin is very good for finding potential water. There are a lot of Springs marked on the 7 minute maps. At least a few will hold water so mark as many as possible in the area you are going to hunt.

Hauling Elk out, is something guys think about but if you've not been in high, steep country with thin air and a heavy pack it's hard to comprehend how hard this could be. An average boned out Bull Elk will yield around 200# of meat. Figure 2-3 hours to carve him up and 50# loads. You'll average 1 to 1.5 MPH hauling a load out. Remember this when you plan to dive into a wilderness 5 miles deep solo. The best bet IMO is to get a packer lined up if you are in very deep. It'll cost you about $300-$500 per critter and it will be well worth it.

Hope this helps
          I meant to com back to this thread earlier and tell you thanks for the response. Ive been doing some working out and changing eating habits i preparation for a hunt next year or the next if we are moving next sept. Watching this thread fires me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            Question for you Elk hunting veterans. We'll be on our first elk hunt with a guy from our lease that's been going to the same area almost 30 years in SW Colorado. He hunts strictly over water holes & wallows. The area has been getting a good amount of rain the last month and is really getting pounded today. It's been super dry up there with a moderate amount of water holes. Now, I'm sure there are thousands of water holes with the recent rains. Would you guys still hunt over water holes or try and stalk for elk? I am fully prepared to sit all day if it means a better opportunity at getting an elk.

What say you guys?
            I was up there scouting last week in west central co it wad wet and all the elk were up high, there was still a ton of elk sign at all the high mountain seeps that i found.

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
              Does the 44# count your bow? I am 53 # with 3L of water and 12 days. Longbow gets carries in hand. Never know when something needs shooting! Leave Tuesday, stop and pick up glen, then off to Colorado!Glenn
              Yes it includes my bow, however I need to add two pounds as I realized I forgot to pack my Wyoming saw. I prefer to keep my bow on my pack as I am apt to fall on it or drop it while climbing.
              Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
              TradAg02 - looks like you have the same trekking poles as me. got mine at Academy for a good price compared to some I've seen
              Yes I picked those up at Academy for $12.99 and noticed they are the same as yours.
              Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
              Sweet!! You have horses? or you just taking a fork?
              I have a fork with a few hundred dollar bills wrapped around it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                Looks to me like you missed the "V".

[ATTACH]537548[/ATTACH]
                Ill meet ya in the middle. I dont think the very bottom bone is not as close to the bottom as your diagram. Here is a better anatomy shot. its a deer but still pretty close. Both still a kill shot. I know where the heart is. I always aim top of the heart.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by elkbowhunter; 08-26-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Well guys, it something about hunting season that makes me want to quit my job!
                  Turned in notice and last day is friday so I can head up hunting.

Will have until September 8th to get it done, high country mule deer and elk tags in hand.
                  Have been spotting elk above timberline as little as 8 days ago, talking about big herds with big bulls running off smaller bulls.
                  Tons of rain, with plenty of lightning storms rolling through up here. Be prepared to get wet if hunting the early season.

One last note, if hunting solo you ought to check for any horse packers in your area.
                  If you have plans to pack it out yourself, what happens if you twist a knee or ankle on the first load out?
                  It happened to me last year packing out a hundred pound load of meat in a rain storm around mid night. A horse packer saved my meat, and was a cheap price to pay. ($350)
                  Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    One last note, if hunting solo you ought to check for any horse packers in your area.
                    If you have plans to pack it out yourself, what happens if you twist a knee or ankle on the first load out?
                    It happened to me last year packing out a hundred pound load of meat in a rain storm around mid night. A horse packer saved my meat, and was a cheap price to pay. ($350)
                    Just an idea.
                    Also make sure you have several methods to contact the outfitter. The group I am using gave me the cell number for the owner and lead guide, directions to their office and directions to the owner's house where his wife will be able to get ahold of him via radio if in the field.

Comment

My group is planning on being in unit 75 from the 6th to 13th with 11 or so head of stock. I hope we get to strap some meat and horns on them. Good luck to you all. Be safe!!!

Comment

ras308,
                        I tried to respond to your e-mail, but it got rejected. Send me an e-mail directly: my e-mail is my screen name @yahoo.com

Comment

With all these Elk thread showing up and the live hunts starting I am finally getting excited. Only a couple more weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                            What are the laws regarding tagging elk if you can’t get it all out in one load? If you are hunting by yourself or with one other person you will be making several trips back and forth from the carcass to your vehicle causing you to have meat and antlers at two locations, but only one tag.

I would personally fell more comfortable keeping the tag with me (filled out of course), but am unsure what the law states.
                            What ever you do don't take the head first! Check the state you are hunting. And always keep proof o sex on one Quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                              What ever you do don't take the head first!
                              Why do you say this? Is that actually a law somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                                Question for you Elk hunting veterans. We'll be on our first elk hunt with a guy from our lease that's been going to the same area almost 30 years in SW Colorado. He hunts strictly over water holes & wallows. The area has been getting a good amount of rain the last month and is really getting pounded today. It's been super dry up there with a moderate amount of water holes. Now, I'm sure there are thousands of water holes with the recent rains. Would you guys still hunt over water holes or try and stalk for elk? I am fully prepared to sit all day if it means a better opportunity at getting an elk.

What say you guys?
                                I have found that elk, like us, will prefer the fresh water from the rains. With that said, I would focus more on finding where the elk are concentrated and make some moves accordingly, rather than sitting on water that is typically there year round. You can usually find some clean water holding in rocks in the bottom of canyons, or shallow wallows on top of mountains that only fill up with the rains.....elk would prefer to drink the cleaner/fresher water out of those than the dirty/stagnant water in the "typical" water holes!!

Comment

Working...
                                X