Two stands one feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two stands one feeder?

I’m wondering if having two different stands set on one feeder for bowhunting is a good idea? I currently have a natural brush blind made for a south wind during the early season. I’m thinking about setting a tripod back in the brush for a north wind later on during the season. Would hunting both winds be putting to much pressure on the deer in this one spot or should I go for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty common practice.

Comment

I have 2 set up at mine, a big giant box blind at 25 yards on the south side and a tree stand at 40 yards on the north side.

Comment

All depends on where the deer are coming from and what trails they use to access the feeder, as well as your access route too and from your stands. They can bust you on the way in even if you're "technically" in the right wind based on your feeder location. I like having multiple stands for different winds, but rarely are they in the exact same area.

It's tough to say without the context of how the deer access that feeder, but depending on your property, if that's the only option to have stands for multiple winds, then I say go for it, and see how they react.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
          All depends on where the deer are coming from and what trails they use to access the feeder, as well as your access route too and from your stands. They can bust you on the way in even if you're "technically" in the right wind based on your feeder location. I like having multiple stands for different winds, but rarely are they in the exact same area.

It's tough to say without the context of how the deer access that feeder, but depending on your property, if that's the only option to have stands for multiple winds, then I say go for it, and see how they react.

It’s not my only option, I have two more stands to set up this year in different areas and both will probably be for north winds but I think this spot will be where My opportunity will come for a big buck. I want to have a stand in place in case a good one shows himself during a north wind, but don’t want to have to much “going on” at one feeder and spook all the Deer

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with more options to play the wind with.

Comment

Some specifics could come in to play, but as a general rule it shouldnt hurt anything and will allow you to hunt your set up regardless of what wind you have.

Comment

I have 2 on the setup I hunted the most last year. I saw plenty of deer every time I hunted that location. You have to be very careful to not get picked off while hunting either stand. It can severely hurt activity at that location. Ask my FIL.

Comment

I have 5 stands set up at one spot (now that I say that it's pretty excessive). A rifle box blind for the boom still/kids then a tripod by my feeder for pigs/does that come in like clock work.

I have 2 lock on and a ground stand that you can't see my feeder from but within 250 yards each way on heavy paths. When I sit in my rifle stand I can see them all. I watch where the deer are crossing and use that stand to bow hunting and end up right on top of them. I leave them out because in my mind I'll spook em dropping in a new one. So basically I added a new one trying to get a certain buck and never pulled it down. Ended up with 3 bow stands in the same area and it works well.

Comment

It’s a great idea you want to be able to hunt your spot in different winds but at some locations there may not be any way to set more then one spot just because of the lay of the land are the way the deer travel just remember the deer are more then likely going to try and come down wind of your feeder!

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post

My exact thoughts and exactly right![emoji1474]

Skinny

Comment

I find that once the deer get the memo its deer season they will always come down wind of the feeder so if the second stand is for hunting the feeder they will still smell you. But if you try to beat them at their own game then set the stand about 50 to 60 yards out and try to catch them as they are circling around the feeder to come in down wind. But always be ready cause you won't have the option of waiting for the perfect shot. You'll have to shoot as they are cruising by. Or sometimes I will put up a obvious "dummy" stand so they think that's THE stand, they concentrate on that one and gives you time to get full draw and get a good shot. But once you educate them they won't forget. Imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Pretty common practice.
                          Yep. And a good practice at that.

Comment

Two stands one feeder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24531114

To give y’all some background this is my setup as of now. The blue dot to the way right is my rifle stand. Blue dot to the left is my bow stand for a south wind and green dot is my feeder. That orange line is a sendero that is not visible from neither my rifle stand nor my bow stand and won’t be hunted unless I set my stand along there. Going off the logic of catchin them coming in I can setup my second stand anywhere along that sendero. Guess I’ll see where the most used trails are when I go out to the lease and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the info guys. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5457.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24531114

Comment

Two stands on one feeder always worked for me in the hill country because the deer came from every direction.

Since I started hunting South Texas they seem to come from the same direction to the same feeder so I have wound up using only one stand once I figure out there direction that they come to a particular feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X