Windage adjustment maxed out. Still 5" off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This afternoon I am going to try a few things:
    1) visually scan bases, rings and see if there is anything noticeably out of line
    2) run the windage adjustment all the way back to the right, counting clicks all the way, then run it back to the left half way. This should get me back to "the middle".

Will shoot again from there and see what I get. If I end up back in the same boat, I will contact Nikon and look at getting a replacement scope.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
      This afternoon I am going to try a few things:
      1) visually scan bases, rings and see if there is anything noticeably out of line
      2) run the windage adjustment all the way back to the right, counting clicks all the way, then run it back to the left half way. This should get me back to "the middle".

Will shoot again from there and see what I get. If I end up back in the same boat, I will contact Nikon and look at getting a replacement scope.
      Sounds good. You may boresight it before and after going halfway on the windage. Place the rifle on a rest and remove the bolt then eyeball the barrell vs crosshairs to a wall mounted target...take notes. See if it truly does move and how much.

Maybe next step...simply unassemble...wipe down everything and reassemble...it may be a metal shaving or bur somewheres acting like a shim.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM. Reason: BurSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Sounds good. You may boresight it before and after going halfway on the windage. Place the rifle on a rest and remove the bolt then eyeball the barrell vs crosshairs to a wall mounted target...take notes. See if it truly does move and how much.

Maybe next step...simply unassemble...wipe down everything and reassemble...it may be a metal shaving or bur somewheres acting like a shim.
        Good idea too, will try that as well.

Comment

Can you post a picture of the mounts and rings? Some of the mount and ring combos can be moved left or right, typically on the rear ring. It really depends on the style of mount and ring, some you will not be able to move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
            Burris signature
            This.
            Burris signature rings you can adjust windage and elevation Before touching your dials.
            BUT I had a brand new savage that had the same problem. It turned out the barrel was bent so bad a cleaning rod couldn’t get all the way down it. I sent it to savage and they sent a new gun.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
              This.
              Burris signature rings you can adjust windage and elevation Before touching your dials.
              BUT I had a brand new savage that had the same problem. It turned out the barrel was bent so bad a cleaning rod couldn’t get all the way down it. I sent it to savage and they sent a new gun.
              Man, that is amazing. Certainly that was visible just by looking down the barrel? I would have made Savage buy that one back or taken it on tour.

Comment

I bought a new Savage 11 in 7mm-08 with a factory-mounted and supposedly bore-sighted Bushnell scope. It shot 9" low at 25 yards!

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Did a visual scan of the scope this morning. Everything looks good except I don’t like they way they positioned the scope on the mounts. Think it is too far forward. I go to I loosen the screws on the rings and they barely seem even finger tight. This could be,and probably is, the problem. So, I slid the scope back just a hair and tightened every down. Turned the windage adjustment all the way back to the right (394 clicks) then turned back to the left 197clicks. Now I should be able to get where I need to be. Weather has gone to crap, will probably be Monday before I get to shoot again. Will see what we can do then.

Comment

Just thinking out loud I wonder the windage adjustment for the reticle might be stuck and just need a good tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
                      I bought a new Savage 11 in 7mm-08 with a factory-mounted and supposedly bore-sighted Bushnell scope. It shot 9" low at 25 yards!
                      Probably was boresighted at factory...There lots of ruff roads and handeling between you and factory...just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                        Just thinking out loud I wonder the windage adjustment for the reticle might be stuck and just need a good tap.
                        This. I had a scope that wouldn't adjust at first. Tapped it a few times and it all works great now. Hopefully you got it figured out. These type of problems can drive you crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                          Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Did a visual scan of the scope this morning. Everything looks good except I don’t like they way they positioned the scope on the mounts. Think it is too far forward. I go to I loosen the screws on the rings and they barely seem even finger tight. This could be,and probably is, the problem. So, I slid the scope back just a hair and tightened every down. Turned the windage adjustment all the way back to the right (394 clicks) then turned back to the left 197clicks. Now I should be able to get where I need to be. Weather has gone to crap, will probably be Monday before I get to shoot again. Will see what we can do then.
                          I doubt it. Where the reticle starts has no bearing on whether you can sight it in or not unless you are using windage adjustable rings which I would advise against. Unless you have windage adjustable rings you have a faulty scope or rifle and need to send it back.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            I doubt it. Where the reticle starts has no bearing on whether you can sight it in or not unless you are using windage adjustable rings which I would advise against. Unless you have windage adjustable rings you have a faulty scope or rifle and need to send it back.
                            You very well could be right. I will get out and shoot it one afternoon after work and see what i get. Hopefully it will dial in just fine, now that it is tightened down. If it doesnt, it will be sent back.

Comment

Bore sight it first. Might save you a trip to the range.

Comment

Update on my windage issues. After removing the scope and rings two or three times and shooting nearly a box of bullets thru it without having any luck, I finally figured out I had a bad set of factory rings. One of the screws wasnt set right. I live an hour away from Academy and wasnt going to make a special trip to take the gun in. Ordered a set or Warne rings off Amazon and re-set the scope. Used a bore laser sighter to get it close. Took it out yesterday and shot three shots at 25 yards. Got it pretty close. Moved back to 100 yds and had it on the money in 5 shots. Thanks for all the input and suggestions on what the issue may have been. Wouldnt figure you would get a defective ring these days, but I guess it happens. Glad it wasnt a bad scope.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X