Catch a jackrabbit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch a jackrabbit?

Stupid question I know... anyone have any ideas on how to catch/trap a jackrabbit? I'm on the HLSR Agventure Committee (rabbit display booth) and every year dozens of people come up wondering where the jackrabbits are. Of course all the rabbits we have up there are domestic breeds but figured if I could catch one of those suckers I'd bring it up to the livestock show next year so we could show it off. We have jackrabbits on our lease in Utopia, but not tons of them so its not gonna be real easy. First thought in my mind is to try just a regular raccoon/cat live trap. Any ideas guys?

On another note, is it even legal to have a live jackrabbit in your possession?

Weasel, you better be pretty fast if you want to catch one of those long legged suckers. We used to hunt them at night on the wheat fields. When you threw the spotlight on one, you could get pretty close before it took off. Maybe you could get the drop on one that way? I've never seen on captured in a live trap. Not even sure what you'd bait it with. LOL

Comment

thats easy, all you need is a large box, a stick, and a long rope.....
      Attached Files

Comment

That's funny right there!

Comment

Back in the day when folks were catching them to train greyhounds they would hit them with a spotlight beam then get within a few feet and throw a hoop net over them. You could probably do the same thing with a long handled fishing net. If you want to make it sporting just grab one with your hands when you get clsoe enough. btw my brother and I never made it to jackrabbits but he did grab a cottontail one night, his comment after the ordeal was "poor little defenseless rabbit my a--". He had several scratches from elbow to wrist from one little cottontail.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
            Back in the day when folks were catching them to train greyhounds they would hit them with a spotlight beam then get within a few feet and throw a hoop net over them. You could probably do the same thing with a long handled fishing net. If you want to make it sporting just grab one with your hands when you get clsoe enough. btw my brother and I never made it to jackrabbits but he did grab a cottontail one night, his comment after the ordeal was "poor little defenseless rabbit my a--". He had several scratches from elbow to wrist from one little cottontail.
            could always try a cast net

Comment

How about spotlighting them and get within 10 feet. Use a casting net and toss it on him???

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                could always try a cast net
                Ooooppps...helps to read the thread first

Comment

Get a lab to fetch one up. Mines caught 2 jackrabbits, a pigeon, and an opossum that she wasn't too happy retrieving for me but she did it anyways... Jason Slocum

Comment

I caught one when I was a kid.I was walking across the pasture on a hot summer day and saw one under a clump of weeds and as I walked up to him I jumped on top of him and caught him by the ears.I guess he thought he was hidden from me.

Comment

At the peak of the population cycle we could reach down and pick up small ones hiding under bushes(I have a picture of it happening)........but at the time we had probably 10 rabbits in every a 30 yrd radius. Literally a plaque of rabbits.

We are at the bottom of the cycle now so I am no help.......

Tbar

Comment

Originally posted by Osceola View Post
                        I caught one when I was a kid.I was walking across the pasture on a hot summer day and saw one under a clump of weeds and as I walked up to him I jumped on top of him and caught him by the ears.I guess he thought he was hidden from me.
                        That is the same story my Grandfather told me as a kid. I jumped at Jacks till my guts hurt and never once in many years did I come close to catching one.

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
                          That is the same story my Grandfather told me as a kid. I jumped at Jacks till my guts hurt and never once in many years did I come close to catching one.
                          That is the only one I ever came close to.It was just dumb luck

Comment

i ran one around a big coastal patch for about 15 minutes, i was on a four wheeler, i never got closer that about 30 feet. contrary to popular folklore his heart did not explode, and he looked purty healthy when he finally beat me to the brush. the spot light idea has merit, yer best bet would to try and find a young one nested up somewhere. let me know if ya get one caught.

Comment

Just sprinkle some salt on it's tail and you can reach down and pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X