Public land camo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land camo?

What are you guys wearing when you hunt public land? I bought some new First Lite camo and trying to figure out a way to walk in (2 miles) without sweating, but still warm enough to not be freezing the whole time. First hunt I did last weekend I wore different clothes walking in and then changed at the base of my tree. That took FOREVER to get completely ready and what not. What's the GS say!?

I go in as light as possible, even when cold. Once I get to my spot I'll start putting on camo once I cool down or start getting cold.

Comment

ASAT Leafy suit. Never been busted wearing it except for movement or being winded.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
        I go in as light as possible, even when cold. Once I get to my spot I'll start putting on camo once I cool down or start getting cold.
        This...

I take a pull over in my backpack.

When it gets really cold I wear the pull over and will tie a down around my waits till I get to my stand then put the big coat on when I start to cool down after a few minuets .

Comment

Moosture wicking layers and hunt the wind. Right now my base layer would be what I walk in with. If it's going to be above 65 that's all I wear all day...if it's below I'll bring a light jacket...as it gets cooler I'll add moisture wicking long johns and heavier clothing. It's tuff but what helps is giving yourself plenty of time to get in and set up so your not trying to run to your stand sight. And with this Texas heat and humidity sometimes you just can't avoid breaking a sweat, so don't sweat it, and hunt the wind!

Comment

Yea i walk to my stand in tee shirt and pants when temp are down in 30's. Cold at first but your body warm up real fast. Then after long walk let body cool down then start putting cold gear on. Sweat will kill your hunt.

Comment

Early season I have a top and bottom set from cabelas that are mesh kinda like a football jersey. The slightest breeze is noticeable. Later in the season when it cools I bring layers with me, I had the same public land 2 mile walk problem. Consider a cheap mountain bike, you will sweat less. I rigged a game cart into a trailer for the bike, it was kinda a fail though because the cart rattled too much with hard rubber tires

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
                Early season I have a top and bottom set from cabelas that are mesh kinda like a football jersey. The slightest breeze is noticeable. Later in the season when it cools I bring layers with me, I had the same public land 2 mile walk problem. Consider a cheap mountain bike, you will sweat less. I rigged a game cart into a trailer for the bike, it was kinda a fail though because the cart rattled too much with hard rubber tires
                I actually just got a bike and added a game cart trailer, but thought the same thing. Definitely a little loud, but I also got one of those kid trailers to convert as well. Hopefully, it will be quieter. I guess I'll continue to wear a set of clothes then change at the tree and give myself plenty of time to get in.

Comment

I used to use the same Camo as I use now. Just with a blaze orange vest and hat.

Comment

Broadside

Comment

what happened to just wearing jeans and a flannel shirt? I've walked up our had deer walk up on me when I was just wearing a white t shirt.

Comment

Since deer are color blind, could it be the UV elimination on clothing is more important than the camo shade and color?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                          what happened to just wearing jeans and a flannel shirt? I've walked up our had deer walk up on me when I was just wearing a white t shirt.
                          I don't wear to much camo anymore. I normally hunt in dark pants and flannel with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                            ASAT Leafy suit. Never been busted wearing it except for movement or being winded.

Arent those the only two ways to get busted?

Comment

This year, I've been wearing waders for about a quarter mile and then changing once I get to dry land for another half mile or so. Sweating like a son of a gun in those waders.

Comment

Working...
                              X