Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mibro quick start drill bits from Tractor Supply are garbage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    Yeah, down here at the shop, all we use are either cobalt or carbide. We work with mainly stainless steels. Glad ya got it done.
    As a professional hole driller, what brand of drill bit do you recommend?

When I was in the Navy as an MR, the first thing we made in our A school was a drill bit gauge, 59.5 degrees, then we learned to sharpen our own bits and cutting tools for the lathe, lots of finger tip blisters from sharpening on a bench grinder, lots of good memories from that.

Comment

Never seen Drill -Tap fluid mentioned ...keeps heat down and extends bit life and correct there is a lot of bits cheap junk (some not so cheap)out there...

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
        Never seen Drill -Tap fluid mentioned ...keeps heat down and extends bit life and correct there is a lot of bits cheap junk (some not so cheap)out there...
        We used cutting fluid for drilling holes on a press in ag shop, but that's about the only place I've ever used it. I was just trying to drill through the 1/8-inch web on a T post. It was already pounded in the ground, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
          Don't run them at a high RPM in your cordless drill.
          Yes sir. Hi speed for wood. Low for steel. Work gets done bits last longer

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            As a professional hole driller, what brand of drill bit do you recommend?

When I was in the Navy as an MR, the first thing we made in our A school was a drill bit gauge, 59.5 degrees, then we learned to sharpen our own bits and cutting tools for the lathe, lots of finger tip blisters from sharpening on a bench grinder, lots of good memories from that.
            Our HSS are C-L and our cobalt are PTD.

If you're running the right RPM, you can get by with a shot of WD-40 every once in a while. It's better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              Our HSS are C-L and our cobalt are PTD.

If you're running the right RPM, you can get by with a shot of WD-40 every once in a while. It's better than nothing.
              I have been using a cutting oil and slow RPM, it's all about speed and feed.

Comment

it's all about speed and feed.

That's what she said.

Comment

I have been using a cutting oil and slow RPM, it's all about speed and feed.

Comment

Working...
                  X