ND filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ND filter question

Most everyone I've seen using the solid gray uses the 3 stop filter. Why 3 stops?

Not sure why 3, but I have one and it works well for water falls and such. I am wanting a 10 stop in order to get some smoother water in lakeside landscapes. Matter of fact, I have Legdogs 10 stop at the house and just have not used it.

In addition, I just ordered up a Graduated ND filter set with holder. I can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Thanks Casey, I'll order one for the Cokin setup.

I got a Cokin 3 filter set a couple of weeks ago but my main adapter ring for the wide angle was wrong in the package. Correct on the packaging but wrong inside. B&H folks were surprised but were great in handling the return. The replacement is suppose to be here tomorrow. They credited the shipping cost back to them back to my Paypal yesterday.

Comment

From what I've read on Fred Miranda and other places, anything less than 3 stops doesn't give you much difference from shooting "naked". The general recommendation is to get a 3 stop ND and maybe a 10-stop ND like Casey said. And then get a 3-stop graduated ND and/or a 3-stop reverse grad ND. I really think a reverse grad for sunsets and flat horizons would be the BOMB out here in flat West Texas. Singh-Ray may be the only folks that make a reverse grad, and they're not cheap.

Casey, what set did you order? I was looking hard at the Cokin Z-Pro system, but I've been reading up on Lee filters as well.

Comment

Interesting. I'm wanting to buy one more adapter and a solid ND so I wanted to check this out first.

I got the Z system Shane. Like I said above my main adapter should be here today so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend. Got a kit and had 3 ND grad from 1-3 stops.

Comment

New toy just in time for the weekend, huh? Be sure and post a report or two with some example pics, Bill.

Comment

Working...
            X