Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
TB80
Ten Point

Default Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

While these calibers are undoubtedly two of the most popular calibers ever, are they still the best option out there for any scenario, or are they just a good "do everything" type of caliber?

For example, if you are hunting whitetail, then it seems there are several other calibers that will kill them just as dead but with less recoil.

If you are hunting elk, it seems there are several other calibers that have more knock down power and long range capability.

It seems like they are decent at everything but not the BEST option for any specific situation.

I can see buying one of the two calibers if you are looking for a caliber that you can use on all North American game, but are they really the best choice for any specific hunting application?

Also, I am not interesting in "ammo availability and price" types of debates. I think it is undeniable that you can find ammo in pretty much every town in these two calibers.

I guess, another way to phrase my question, is when would you recommend a 270 or 30-06 over another caliber?

Disclaimer - I own a 270 and it is my favorite gun I own, but largely in part due to sentimental value.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

I think you answered your own question regarding their being relevant. For all the reasons you listed they are still relevant. Someone just getting into the "sport" of hunting and isn't wanting to buy a gun for every species then heck ya I am recommending one of those two calibers.
PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

I would recommend them both over most short action rounds for hunting muleys out to several hundred yards. And also would recommend them both for elk 400 and in as well. They fit into that niche nicely. They are a little over kill for texas whitetails but great on slightly bigger animals. But muleys are much bigger and I like having that extra energy. They would also make great caribou cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
nimrodajh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere with legal access

Yea... but... if you don’t have a 6.5 creedmore you can’t tell everyone about it.
nimrodajh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

The average person can go to any sporting goods , buy a gun in either caliber and go harvest a deer, hog, javelina or turkey anywhere in Texas. You can also find guns in this caliber in a affordable price range that any working class guy can afford .
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

No, only the 3006. 270 is great, but don't offer the heavy weights. The 3006 is the greatest non dangerous game cartridge ever devised. One caliber that can do it all without beating you up. Also it is available in just about every action type. If there is a gun chances are it comes in 06. So the real question is why would anyone recommend anything else?
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I have both calibers and love them both and have no need to buy a cannon, those do it fine for me.

With that said it more than likely is a just a personal preference they all will kill.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

The 06 can run 55gr to 220gr projectile.
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest

Putting down big game like elk has more to do with shot placement than caliber.
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
RJH1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.
I am just glad we are arguing 3006s and 270s like men, in stead of 223/300bo/6.5creed/243. And I will say that even Elmer Keith liked a 270, said it was a great Coyote rifle. Haha. 270s are dang good guns too, second best, but still nice :-)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorthunder View Post
This. That is range right there.

Bullet choice is more important that the round. A .270 with a nosler or something along those lines is going to dominate a 7 mag or 300WM with a cheap bullet that fails to expand.

Neither are irrelevant, and will never be. I always recommend those two round to people if they ask what is best for deer or elk.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #13
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
What twist are you running that will stabilize 55gr and also 220gr?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
k-town
Ten Point

Hunt In: EAST TEXAS

READ "O'CONNOR'S THOUGHTS ON 270 V/S 30-06 . You have the best choice already. Don't over think it partner ...
k-town is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrodajh View Post
Yea... but... if you don’t have a 6.5 creedmore you can’t tell everyone about it.
Nailed it. Similar to a Vegan or Cross-Trainer. lol

I would love to have a gun for every situation. However, I only have a hand full to take care of everything I need. If I need a rifle and it isn't for squirrels, my .270 gets the call.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #16
RJH1
Eight Point

Quote:
What twist are you running that will stabilize 55gr and also 220gr?
10 twist. the 55 are Sabot rounds, the 220 are round nose and are no longer than many 180 bottails. People been shooting those rounds out of 3006s for many many years. That is why the 3006 wins. (the sabot rounds are not terribly accurate though and 110s are better for varmints)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
Ryan-in-SA1
Spike

Hunt In: Low Fence, near Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post

For example, if you are hunting whitetail, then it seems there are several other calibers that will kill them just as dead but with less recoil.
I'll just say this - I've shot deer with 6.5 Grendel, 243, 270, 308, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag. You're right there is only one kind of dead... but bigger, faster bullet (more energy) at the business end means less tracking and chasing deer if you make a less than perfect shot.

You notice recoil at the range when you're shooting at paper from a benchrest. You don't notice recoil in the field (especially if you're shooting at a big 'un). Shoot the biggest that you can manage not to develop a flinch at the range. When you shoot a deer, you won't notice the recoil, but you will have muscle memory from the range.

Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 02-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Ryan-in-SA1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

If I had to choose only one caliber, .30-06 all day long. Killed Nilgai, deer, hogs and coyotes with a weatherby vanguard for years.

Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #19
boomerball
Ten Point

when I got my first hunting rifle, I figured it would be the only one in the safe for a while. given that, I went 3006. figure it would take care of about any opportunity requiring a rifle that may arise before adding in anything else down the road
boomerball is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Y’all do know that neither 270 nor 3006 are calibers right?
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post

And here we go....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #22
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I'd take a 270 over a 30-06 any day. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the 30-06, but I'm not a fan. I don't like to look at a gun as a "do it all kind of a gun". For Texas(when I'm using a rifle) I'm either varmint hunting or deer/hog hunting, so I mostly use a .308 and a 22-250. Pretty good combo to own. I take deer/hogs with both rifles depending on what mood I'm in. .308 for the shoulder shots, 22-250 for neck shots/ear holeing pigs. 308 perfectly capable of taking bigger game though
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
bruschu
Spike

Finn Aagard built his “one gun” years ago as a .30-06 on a Mauser 98. If you handload or don’t, you can go varmint to elk with ease. The variety or weights and bullets allow for it to be that for those that want to have just one caliber in the safe!
bruschu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:

It's funny you say this because I have both in a Remington 700 and the 270 kicks a lot harder than the 30 06, don't know why. I can shoot the 270 5 times and have a nice bruise and the 06 doesn't do anything.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
I guess, another way to phrase my question, is when would you recommend a 270 or 30-06 over another caliber?
Never... there's always a better option. That said, either will do many jobs adequately.
In general humanity progresses over time. To think that we got it right in the first two decades of the 20th century and have moved backward since is pretty shortsighted I think.
There are a number of factors at play today that are significantly different from those of that era and lead to different end products.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
It's funny you say this because I have both in a Remington 700 and the 270 kicks a lot harder than the 30 06, don't know why. I can shoot the 270 5 times and have a nice bruise and the 06 doesn't do anything.
It's just physics... there are plenty of hard numbers all over the internet for those two, or you can do the 1/2mv^2 (1/2*mass*velocity squared) yourself.

Heavy guns with good brakes and pads absorb recoil much better than light guns do, perhaps that's what caused your perception.

And agreed, I don't feel qualified to comment because I simply can't fathom picking one cartridge.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:

Caliber cartridge clip magazine. What difference does it matter we knew what the dude was talking about. You do know y’all isn’t an actual official word right?

westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Caliber cartridge clip magazine. What difference does it matter we knew what the dude was talking about. You do know y’all isn’t an actual official word right?

Rifle "shells" is the one that always confuses me
Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #29
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Yes, ESPECIALLY if you handload.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #30
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

I've killed everything from blackbuck to elk with my 270....all dead and delicious. I'd have no problem hunting up to moose with mine but think I'd change for brownies.

For me, thats my caliber, probably for the rest of life.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #31
snipermedic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Arkansas

Say an artical that said a 30-06 loaded with a high BC bullet has equal trajectory to a 300wm with a traditional bullet. My handloaded 26” 06 with a 168amax does 3k. Nothing other than African dangerous game will walk away with one well placed. My 270 loaded with a high BC bullet has equal ballistics(not energy) of a 6.5creed any 6mm 338L. To many any well loaded 270 or 30-06 will take care of anything when loaded right. But to me 270 wins in Texas. But if I was close range in bear country I think a 200gr plus 06 would get the nod. Although if you watch the Alaskan shows they hunt bear with a 223. I guess they think 30 small holes better than 1 big hole.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #32
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
10 twist. the 55 are Sabot rounds, the 220 are round nose and are no longer than many 180 bottails. People been shooting those rounds out of 3006s for many many years. That is why the 3006 wins. (the sabot rounds are not terribly accurate though and 110s are better for varmints)
Gave my dad some 55 and the next year he shot a deer with it. Looked like he put a small bomb in it. Bits of bone from head to tail.
Bought 3 boxes here a couple of months back for cheep.....
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #33
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
Gave my dad some 55 and the next year he shot a deer with it. Looked like he put a small bomb in it. Bits of bone from head to tail.
Bought 3 boxes here a couple of months back for cheep.....
Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Genesis 1 Hunts
Spike

Hunt In: Weatherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post

Exactly...
Genesis 1 Hunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #35
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Y'all is in the dictionary. But y'all knew what he meant by it anyways
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:

please explain, "inefficient design" every time you pull the trigger,,,,, i need to hear the explanation

i have had both and prefer the 30-06,,, but my go to is a 45-70,,,,

Last edited by xman59; 02-19-2018 at 04:18 PM.
xman59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #37
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

25-06
6.5-06
30-06
338-06
35 Whelen

These all use the same parent...with today's solid expanding bullets along with bonded, the argument between 270 & 30-06 is silly. Especially when the 280ai is best.

Carry on.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #38
k-town
Ten Point

Hunt In: EAST TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-town View Post
READ "O'CONNOR'S THOUGHTS ON 270 V/S 30-06 . You have the best choice already. Don't over think it partner ...
READ ... GUESS way before you guys time
k-town is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #39
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Especially when the 280ai is best.

Carry on.
Dangit! You had to go and add a another caliber......

And yes, the best one
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #40
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Rifle "shells" is the one that always confuses me
Blasphemy! You are in Texas! It dam sure is a word.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #41
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

If I had to choose one caliber for all of North America, it would be the .338 win mag.
texas shag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #42
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
A friend had a Rem 700 .270 that kicked very hard, even with bull barrel and good limb saver that rifle left several purple eyes, we called it "el bravo" my Browning X bolt 30-06 was easier on the shoulder than the .270
AHF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #43
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
please explain, "inefficient design" every time you pull the trigger,,,,, i need to hear the explanation

i have had both and prefer the 30-06,,, but my go to is a 45-70,,,,
Quote:
And yes, the best one
It is a good example. The 280AI has substantially lower recoil, overtakes the 30-06 in downrange energy at 200 yds and doesn't look back.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #44
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

So am I limited to one of these two calibers for the “best option for any hunting scenario”?

If I could only have one gun I believe it would be a 300wm. Put a brake on it and get after it.

Of course I don’t have to choose just one caliber so I don’t own a 300wm, a 270 or a 30-06.

RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #45
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
So am I limited to one of these two calibers for the “best option for any hunting scenario”?

If I could only have one gun I believe it would be a 300wm. Put a brake on it and get after it.

Of course I don’t have to choose just one caliber so I don’t own a 300wm, a 270 or a 30-06.

I have a 300WM that kicks less than a 270 all day. Heck you can even shoot it with one hand. I would rather run 100 rounds through my .300 Win mag than any of my bolt action guns besides my 22/250.

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-20-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #46
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

A braked .300WM/WSM is a reasonable pick. Black Ice, what are you using?

Chuck Hawks had an interesting perspective, especially about the "it can shoot 55-200gn+" argument. http://www.chuckhawks.com/perfect_pair.htm

My concern was about twist, stabilization and accuracy, but he points out If you really want to do that you'll have to re-zero between each significant change in bullet weight.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #47
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
A braked .300WM/WSM is a reasonable pick. Black Ice, what are you using?

Chuck Hawks had an interesting perspective, especially about the "it can shoot 55-200gn+" argument. http://www.chuckhawks.com/perfect_pair.htm

My concern was about twist, stabilization and accuracy, but he points out If you really want to do that you'll have to re-zero between each significant change in bullet weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_W8ijKijg&sns=em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1aH9VEpsU0&sns=em

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-20-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 AM   #48
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Ah yeah, the petra
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #49
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ah yeah, the petra

Have you shot one yet?

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-20-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #50
spread5150
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

Ammo for both is everywhere. I read it on here before. “ walk into a hardware store, walk out with missles”. Good choices
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top